Normal Topic DEA (Read 7135 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box FD
New User

DEA
Mar 29th, 2002 at 11:40pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Thanks for the info George. I briefly read thru the lawsuit, but found that the only complaint against the DEA was in a case where the applicant changed his statement because the examiner gave him a new definition of what an "occurence" would be. Are you aware of any cases of applicants being DQ's where they admit nothing?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: DEA
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2002 at 1:23am
FD,

As noted in the First Amended Complaint in Croddy, et al. v. FBI, et al., passing a polygraph "test" is a requirement for employment with DEA. This is cited from the DEA briefing book, which is available on-line at:

http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/briefingbook/page86.htm ;

This document unambiguously states, "...applicants must successfully complete a polygraph examination..."

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box FD
New User

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2002 at 1:43am
George, My issue/question is this: The DEA is a much larger organization and hires more people than the USSS. However, there are very few complaints about their poly procedure that I could find. In contrast, there are many complaints about the USSS. The DEA Admin stated: The polygraph examination is utilized as a tool to determine and direct attention to possible problem areas in an applicant’s background. However, it is never the sole determining factor in determining the applicant’s suitability for employment by DEA. 

I'm just wondering if they are backing this up.  Frank

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box going crazy

Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2002 at 8:01pm
FD   

I tested with the DEA and they said that I did not pass my polly.  They did tell me the same thing that it is merly a tool to see what direction they need to go with their back ground investigation.  They did continue on with the process and they did do the back ground investigation.  They have sent my file back to Va with a reccomendation of hiring.  If they hire me or not is still to be determined.  The recruiter does not think they will pick me up with the poly problems but they sent the packet in anway requesting me to be hired.  Now its all in the hands of the people back east.   Dont know if this helps you or not.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2002 at 3:47am
FD,

The Secret Service has made similar suspect claims.

Quote:
Jim Mackin, a spokesman for the Secret Service, said the agency has found it to be an effective tool. "But it is just one of many screening tools we use in the application process," he said. "It's not the only part of the process that would eliminate anyone."

This quote was from a Washington Post article entitled "Applicants to File Suit Over Polygraph Exams" published on March 15, 2000. 

As many who post to this board are aware, Mr. Mackin's statement is at best misleading. The Secret Service may eliminate candidates by means other than polygraphy (written exams, interviews, etc). Still, the agency appears to be the #1 offender for disqualifying applicants based on polygraphs alone. 

As an aside, your point about the relative size of individual agencies and the number of complaints against them is a valid one. As you said, the Secret Service is a relatively small agency. Despite this fact, AntiPolygraph.org is contacted the most by victims of the Secret Service pre-employment polygraph--both via message board and private e-mail--(victims of local PD polygraphs as a whole generate most of our e-mail). The FBI, a much larger agency, places second. We hear relatively little from DEA applicants. Nonetheless, there is a good body of evidence (including the behavior that is described in Mark Zaid’s lawsuit) that suggests that your quote from the DEA admin may be untrue. 

The fact that many victims of the Secret Service polygraph choose to share there stories may truly indicate that the agency has a much greater false-positive rate than other agencies. On the other hand, Secret Service applicants may just be more likely to share their stories because they are indignant as a result of their treatment. A vast majority of the e-mail depicting outrageously abusive examiner behavior (lengthy interrogations, profanity, threatening gestures, etc) comes from these individuals. Therefore, another plausible possibility is that former USSS applicants are less likely to walk away without a fight when compared to those who are told something to the effect of “you failed… Don’t let the door hit you in the rear on the way out.”

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box kevbleezy
New User

Reply #5 - May 15th, 2003 at 11:36pm
I applied to the DEA and passed my ploly.  The tester told me that he thought that my results would hold up.  The background check was completed and I made it to the finaly suitably review.  I was denied employment because of my drug history.  The only illegal drug I have ever gone near is marijuana and it was some minor expermintal use in my teens.  I told the DEA about all of this from the first form I filled out.  I have sent away for my file under the freedom of information act.  We will see.

The only thing I can think of is that when I joined the military, the recuriter asked me if I had ever done drugs.  I told him no because a couple of times with marijuana didn't seem a signifigant amount of drugs.  I think the DEA used this to disqualify me.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Joey

Academics
Reply #6 - May 17th, 2003 at 3:40am
HI I want to know how are the academics at the DEA academy.   I am a border Patrol agent and I had a tough time with immigration law.  I want to know if the academy is good in training since I am worried about the 80% passing rate.

IP Logged

DEA

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X