Normal Topic Kinda long, but needing some insight (Read 2792 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 2TrpRnot2Trp
New User

Kinda long, but needing some insight
Mar 29th, 2002 at 8:11am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi, 

Let me first start off by saying that I am so glad I have found this forum and have truly enjoyed reading some of the posts that are informative (others have just been humorous). Anyway, I digress..

The reason I am posting is because I have a few questions that I'd like to get some opinions on, and from what I've seen, that won't be too hard to come by. Just no flames please, I'm being as sincere as I possibly can -

So, here we go: 
I am interested in becoming a State trooper. This would be a major career change for me, later in life (I'm 30), and I've done everything from teach Kindergarten to a computer consultant. Is this a negative in that I have no criminal justice or LE background? (as most seem to do where I am). 

Secondly, my family and friends are very supportive, and as far as getting references and strong character reports, I'm not worried.. This has been a well thought out decision - I present well, am well thought of, and the caliber of my morals are evident.

But! (isn't there always?) - In the background check, I am concerned of a couple of things. I feel that I might have too many situations that would need an "explanation". While they are totally viable and 100% honest... could having too many things to explain be perceived as shady, or unstable?

For example: I have moved A LOT, in fact I don't even remember all the addresses or for how long I lived there. These moves have all been for jobs. But with the industry I'm in, it's acquisition heaven, so I move to work.

Secondly, my credit is extremely, downright unbearably rotten - but with a true explanation. High level - In college, sick, no insurance, mis-diagnosed, (for 3 years). It racked up the bills. I leave school, job with insurance, properly diagnosed, all better now. 

Because of the bills I racked up, I filed a bankruptcy, during which I found I was a victum of Financial Aid fraud. That's been 7 years ago, and I'm STILL fighting it. Needless to say, bureaucratic red tape is less than enlightening. But I can without a doubt prove that I've been trying - but it doesn't take away from such a crappy rating, nor the time it is taking to correct.

So how do I explain these things? When do I explain them, and to whom? I'm willing to undergo the grilling, and answer any of the questions that might be posed. I feel I have a lot to offer in this career, no make that life choice.. only I don't want to mistakenly screw it up trying to get there.

Any insight? And thank you for your time -

The greatest oak, was once just a little nut that firmly stood its ground.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Joe20012002

Re: Kinda long, but needing some insight
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2002 at 12:24am
Hi,

It sounds like you have a lot of experience. Being in law enforcement myself, I can relate to your concerns. You are 30 years old, which these days is considered fairly young. The best advice that I can give you, is to be honest about your current situations. Let everything be known up front, and convince your prospective employer, even with the setbacks that you have encountered, that it will not affect your ability to perform the duties required for the position that you are seeking. I'm certain the most of us are probably still paying off college and other loans. Once again, what you have in your favor is education and youth. Good luck with your law enforcement career. If i can be of further assistance, don't hesitate to e-mail me.

Joe

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 2TrpRnot2Trp
New User

Re: Kinda long, but needing some insight
Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2002 at 5:34am
Joe -
Thanks for your comments, I appreciate you taking the time. The thing is, I don't owe any loans what so ever, but they are reflected on my credit report, all 12 of them. I have been going through the paper trail in getting them removed.

I don't have any qualms in explaining this et all, but when it comes to having to do so, it's to whom and when should I do it??  Smiley

The greatest oak, was once just a little nut that firmly stood its ground.

IP Logged

Kinda long, but needing some insight

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X