Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Going for 2nd Poly. MGQT questions. (Read 12034 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jane

Going for 2nd Poly. MGQT questions.
Feb 27th, 2002 at 12:09am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I had some "weak" areas in my first poly (3 weeks ago) as my SSO described.  ??? I am being "re-examined" next week and need a little advice on identifying control questions.  The poly is for the "SI" part of my TS clearance with an agency that shall remain un-named (begins with N). (I work for a contractor)

First let me say, I sure wish I had found your site before my first exam. It would have saved me all this trouble and worry.  My examiner pulled all those tricks and basically beat me down.  I don't have anything to confess but he sure did get me to tell more about my personal life than I would have liked. I was 100% truthful on the exam.  I have read in other posts that this agency uses the MGQT format for their exams.

I was never asked any direct lie questions and never given a stim test.  Is that normal?  Are typical control questions like:

"have you been trufull in the exam today?"?

How about questions like "Is your name Jane Doe.?" Is this an Irrevalant question?

The chair I sat in was big and comfy. Could it have sensors in it?   

I'm not as nervous about my second exam because from what I read the test is BS.  I can't believe I fell for it the first time. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Going for 2nd Poly. MGQT questions.
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2002 at 1:05am
Jane,

I'm glad you found AntiPolygraph.org. This website was created by polygraph victims to educate and protect those whose honesty and integrity our government has regrettably decided to assess through the voodoo science of polygraphy.

I don't know whether either of the national agencies that begin with an "N" (NSA and NRO) use the MGQT format (a probable-lie "control" question technique) in employee screening.

At the time of the Congressional Office of Technology Assessment report on polygraphy in 1983, the NSA used a Relevant/Irrlevant technique for screening, with a probable-lie "control" question being added at the end of a series if the subject showed no significant reaction to any question in the series. Perhaps the NSA still uses the R/I technique. I don't know.

At the time of the OTA report, the existence of the other agency, NRO, was an official secret. I don't know what technique that agency primarily uses, but in fall of last year, the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute taught a R/I screening course in Chantilly, VA (where NRO is headquartered).

So, when you go back for your follow-up polygraph, you may encounter either a probable-lie or directed-lie "control" question "test" or a R/I "test."

The question "Have you been truthful on this exam today?" is perhaps the most commonly used "sacrifice" relevant question, frequently being the first relevant question asked in a series (after two irrelevant questions), and is not scored. However, in the General Question "Test," (GQT) this question serves as a "disguised control" question. While DoDPI claims that it no longer teaches the GQT and has discarded all documentation of it, it is conceivable that they made some minor changes and slapped a new name on it. Again, I don't know.

A question like, "Is your name Jane Doe?" is indeed an irrelevant question.

A CNN ran a report on the NSA a while back that showed a picture of what appears to be a big comfy polygraph chair, and it could indeed have sensors in it. They'd be easy to conceal:

Good luck next week, and please consider posting a note on how it went. And of course, feel free to post any additional questions you may have. At the appropriate time, you may wish to fill in your friends and co-workers regarding the polygraph.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2002 at 5:05pm
Jane wrote on Feb 27th, 2002 at 12:09am:

I had some "weak" areas in my first poly (3 weeks ago) as my SSO described.  ??? I am being "re-examined" next week and need a little advice on identifying control questions.

Did your interrogator tell you in what areas you were 'weak'?

Quote:
First let me say, I sure wish I had found your site before my first exam. It would have saved me all this trouble and worry.  My examiner pulled all those tricks and basically beat me down.  I don't have anything to confess but he sure did get me to tell more about my personal life than I would have liked. I was 100% truthful on the exam.  I have read in other posts that this agency uses the MGQT format for their exams.

A well-timed, "You sure seem fascinated with the nuances of my sex-life. Your questions are bordering on sexual harassment. I'd hate to think of the civil liabilities you and your employer would face should a person inclined to litigation decide to make charges" would do wonders. Actually, no, you want to get the job obviously so you probably are resigned to playing the game. Oh well, nice to day-dream about. Cheesy

Quote:
I was never asked any direct lie questions and never given a stim test.  Is that normal?

I find it highly suspicious that no stim test was given. Nothing? 

Quote:
How about questions like "Is your name Jane Doe.?" Is this an Irrevalant question?

Yes.

Quote:
The chair I sat in was big and comfy. Could it have sensors in it?

Highly unlikely, although 'strain gauges' are used on some polygraph chairs in order to determine if one is pressing down with one's feet (I suppose to defeat the 'tack in the shoe' countermeasure). Such chairs are pretty easily spotted. The big comfy chairs are sometimes draped with placebo 'sensor pads' in an effort to intimidate the subject and cow him/her into not attempting various physical countermeasures. Don't fall for it.

Quote:
I'm not as nervous about my second exam because from what I read the test is BS.  I can't believe I fell for it the first time. Roll Eyes

Good for you!

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2002 at 6:00pm
Roll EyesThe chair looked an awful lot like that one, but much cushier.  I don't think I can flex my spincter without flexing my buns, so that is out for me.  I'm working on biting my tongue without it showing.  I'm going to wear a turtleneck.

Another question, are they likely to change the kind of "test "they give me or stick with the same type as last time?

And, no, there was no type of stim test. My husband thought that was odd too. No picking numbers, no intentional lying, nothing.  Just three rounds of questions for the CI part and 3 rounds for the lifestyle part.

I thought of another question & wanted to know if it is a control question.  "In the past 5 years have you used drugs?"  I had admitted to smoking pot in high school, but couldn't think of how many times. He made me come up with a number that it couldn't be more than. I started with 5 but then went up to 10 because I REALLY don't remember.  I would assume that I would still have a "reaction" to the drug question because of my guilty conscience.

Finally, is it ok to think about things in between the questions. I have trouble focusing and my mind wanders.  The examiner said I was "bringing stuff in" that was interfereing.  Should I just sing a song in my head or something?

IP Logged

Reply #4 - May 16th, 2002 at 9:38pm
Cheesy

Just wanted to pop in and say I PASSED my third poly (had a second one since my first post & it was "inconclusive"). Just got a call from my SSO and she said I was "successful"

I did not use countermeasures because I just couldn't figure out the format of the test (NSA).  They only had relevant/irrevelant and no "control" questions.   

Anyhow...it's over and I won't have to do the CI one again for 5 years.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Boy_Wonder
New User

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2002 at 12:29am
Jane

You passed your polygraph without using CMs!  Did any of your advisors on this web page offer to hire you if you did not.  In other words do not become a "victim" of antipolygraph.org.  They have no vested interest in your well being, they are only padding their own bitterness.  They seem willing to give you unfounded career advice, but what will they offer when that advice fails?

BW

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2002 at 12:59am
Boy_Wonder,

Even the most naive reader on this site can see through the shallow logic of your last post.  George, Gino, and others have absolutely no motivation to do anything but help those who have been victimized or are about to be victimized by polygraph screening.  Yes, they too have been victimized--they know of that which they speak.  You, on the other hand, if you are a member of the polygraph community, most assuredly do NOT have Jane's or any other examinee's welfare as your primary motivating force, but your own financial interest, sense of professional self-survival and a futile search for a purpose in life.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box eisenmann372002
New User

Reply #7 - May 18th, 2002 at 1:11am
Boy Wonder sputtered one of the stupidest things I've ever heard:

"Did any of your advisors on this web page offer to hire you if you did not.  In other words do not become a "victim" of antipolygraph.org.  They have no vested interest in your well being, they are only padding their own bitterness."

If I could afford to start and maintain my own NON-PROFIT website, I don't think I would have bitterness towards anything. Perhaps I'm naive....but I doubt it. What the HELL will be offered to an honest person who is absolutely truthful on their pre-employment exam but fails wrongfully? NOTHING!!! They LOSE THEIR OPPORTUNITY. My GOD, what does it take to get this point across???? 

Again I ask, pro-polygraph soothsayers...if the polygraph is flawless, why does the possibility of countermeasures raise the hackles of pro-polygraphers? And again I state, because the polygraph does NOT detect LIES!

Boy Wonder...come on. You're not dealing with uneducated school children here. The polygraph MAY be useful in criminal interrogations, but it should NOT be used to qualify or disqualify ANYone going through a pre-employment screening. Dispute this all you want, but you and I both know that it's a complete sham in this regard. If you deny this, then what is your problem with countermeasures? Either the polygraph is flawless or not. Pick a side and stick with it.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #8 - May 18th, 2002 at 10:27am
Quote:
You passed your polygraph without using CMs! 

Even a broken clock is right twice each day. That fact that someone passed a polygraph "test" without using countermeasures means nothing. Nowhere have we said that it is impossible to pass without countermeasures. If you read the site carefully, you will notice that we describe polygraphy as a procedure with random results.

We provide information on countermeasures for those who do not wish to chance their futures to an unreliable and fraudulent "test" with tremendous error rates.

Quote:
They have no vested interest in your well being, they are only padding their own bitterness.

Or, perhaps we are expending our time, money, and energy to use our negative experiences in a positive way by attempting to prevent others from having to repeat them. Let's let the readers of this site decide for themselves.

Quote:
They seem willing to give you unfounded career advice

Let’s see here….
  • Polygraphy has not been shown to be more accurate than chance under field conditions.
  • Peer reviewed research has shown that polygraphers cannot detect sophisticated countermeasures.
  • Former FBI polygraph expert Dr. Drew C. Richardson and University of Minnesota Psychology Professor Dr. David Lykken have both publicly stated that they would use polygraph countermeasures if forced to submit to a pre-employment polygraph

Readers of the site can also decide for themselves whether or not our advice is founded.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box J.B. McCloughan
Very Senior User

Reply #9 - May 19th, 2002 at 8:45am
Gino,

You wrote:

Quote:

Let’s see here….

Polygraphy has not been shown to be more accurate than chance under field conditions.

Peer reviewed research has shown that polygraphers cannot detect sophisticated countermeasures.

Polygraph has been shown to have high validity, extremely higher then chance, under field conditions.  
http://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?board=Proc&action=display&num=10...

I am not sure of what research you are speaking about in regards to sophisticated countermeasures and their detection? 

Although Drew is an expert in Forensic Toxicology, his expert status is not established under his connections with the FBI.  George has already openly admitted that he is the one who gave Drew this status on this site.

Quam verum decipio nos

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #10 - May 19th, 2002 at 9:03am
J.B.,

Quote:
Polygraph has been shown to have high validity, extremely higher then chance, under field conditions.

You say so, but the evidence is not compelling. (You and I have discussed this at length in the message thread The Scientific Validity of Polygraph. All who are interested may draw their own conclusions from our debate.)

Quote:
I am not sure of what research you are speaking about in regards to sophisticated countermeasures and their detection?

Gino is no doubt referring to the studies by Honts et al., which are referenced in the bibliography of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

Quote:
Although Drew is an expert in Forensic Toxicology, his expert status is not established under his connections with the FBI.  George has already openly admitted that he is the one who gave Drew this status on this site.

What you're referring to here is my statement (in response to a question in the message thread Polygraph Countermeasure Challenge) that it is I who described Dr. Richardson as the FBI's top polygraph expert on the AntiPolygraph.org home page. As I explained there, I did so on the strength of his qualifications as a research physiologist who understands the scientific principles underlying polygraphy. Whether one agrees with my characterization or not, I think it remains fair to describe Dr. Richardson as a polygraph expert.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #11 - May 19th, 2002 at 5:50pm
George,

You wrote:
Quote:

You say so, but the evidence is not compelling. (You and I have discussed this at length in the message thread The Scientific Validity of Polygraph. All who are interested may draw their own conclusions from our debate.)

That they may.  I think the evidence of the contradictory view to yours is overwhelmingly obvious.

You wrote:
Quote:

Gino is no doubt referring to the studies by Honts et al., which are referenced in the bibliography of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

Where does the evidence in this research study support that examiners' can't detect sophisticated countermeasures?

You wrote:
Quote:

What you're referring to here is my statement (in response to a question in the message thread Polygraph Countermeasure Challenge) that it is I who described Dr. Richardson as the FBI's top polygraph expert on the AntiPolygraph.org home page. As I explained there, I did so on the strength of his qualifications as a research physiologist who understands the scientific principles underlying polygraphy. Whether one agrees with my characterization or not, I think it remains fair to describe Dr. Richardson as a polygraph expert.

Who, besides you, has bestowed Drew with expert status in polygraph?  What peer reviewed scientific 'physiological research' has Drew conducted and more importantly that which was specific to polygraph.  Again, I respect Drew as a scientist.  He has an extensive amount of experience in Forensic Toxicology.  The prior remotely relates to polygraph and alone does not meet the normal criteria for being an expert in polygraph. 

Quam verum decipio nos

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #12 - May 19th, 2002 at 7:47pm
J.B.,

Quote:
Where does the evidence in this research study support that examiners' can't detect sophisticated countermeasures?

Had you bothered to read the referenced studies by Honts et al., you would not have asked such a question.

Quote:
Who, besides you, has bestowed Drew with expert status in polygraph?  What peer reviewed scientific 'physiological research' has Drew conducted and more importantly that which was specific to polygraph.  Again, I respect Drew as a scientist.  He has an extensive amount of experience in Forensic Toxicology.  The prior remotely relates to polygraph and alone does not meet the normal criteria for being an expert in polygraph.

Senator Charles Grassley (R-IA) noted in a 1997 letter to the director of the FBI Laboratory Division that "Dr. Richardson is perhaps the FBI's most eminently qualified expert on polygraphs." To the best of my knowledge, Drew's only peer-reviewed article on polygraphy ("The CQT Polygrapher's Dilemma: Logico-Ethical Considerations for Psychophysiological Practitioners and Researchers," International Journal of Psychophysiology, 1993, 15, 263-67) is not a research study, but dealt with ethics. He co-authored it with Professor John Furedy, but the FBI forbade him from being cited as a coauthor. Nonetheless, Dr. Richardson's doctoral research (funded by the NSA polygraph unit) was on a polygraph-related topic. Dr. Richardson also served with the FBI Laboratory's (now defunct) polygraph research unit. I find it curious that you would question his qualifications as an expert in the field of polygraphy.

In any event, Dr. Richardson's criticisms of CQT polygraphy are not based on any argument from authority, but are instead grounded in reason and an understanding of the scientific method. Your ad hominem argument does nothing to undermine them.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #13 - May 20th, 2002 at 7:31am

Quote:

J.B.,

Had you bothered to read the referenced studies by Honts et al., you would not have asked such a question.

Senator Charles Grassley (R-IA) noted in a 1997 letter to the director of the FBI Laboratory Division that "Dr. Richardson is perhaps the FBI's most eminently qualified expert on polygraphs." To the best of my knowledge, Drew's only peer-reviewed article on polygraphy ("The CQT Polygrapher's Dilemma: Logico-Ethical Considerations for Psychophysiological Practitioners and Researchers," International Journal of Psychophysiology, 1993, 15, 263-67) is not a research study, but dealt with ethics. He co-authored it with Professor John Furedy, but the FBI forbade him from being cited as a coauthor. Nonetheless, Dr. Richardson's doctoral research (funded by the NSA polygraph unit) was on a polygraph-related topic. Dr. Richardson also served with the FBI Laboratory's (now defunct) polygraph research unit. I find it curious that you would question his qualifications as an expert in the field of polygraphy.

In any event, Dr. Richardson's criticisms of CQT polygraphy are not based on any argument from authority, but are instead grounded in reason and an understanding of the scientific method. Your ad hominem argument does nothing to undermine them.

1.  There is data in Honts' studies of the examiners' ability to detect countermeasures.  Not just can't  but a certain statistical percentage.  Regardless, Gino did not specify which of the many studies he was using for this assertion and/or provide a cite for readers to check the truth of his statement.  If this is simply Gino’s opinion, then it should be noted as such.

2.  I am not discrediting Drew as a scientist and/or attacking him personally in any way.  I am simply pointing to the fact that he is an expert in Forensic Toxicology and too my knowledge only you have said he is one of the FBI's leading experts in polygraph.  Drew's logic is always welcome in my opinion. I think Drew has some vary valid and sound points when it comes to polygraph.  I agree with him on many issues.  Even if I don't agree with something Drew says, I can appreciate his differing view and agree to disagree with him on ones that I find no evidence for the need to change.  Some of my views have changed through discussions with him.

I’m not here to argue any further points with you.  It is quite evident from reading your posts on here as well as, http://archives.his.com/intelforum/threads4.html#04192 , http://archives.his.com/intelforum/msg02979.html ,and various other sites that your views will not change no matter what evidence is provided.

Quam verum decipio nos

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #14 - May 20th, 2002 at 8:25am
J.B.,

Quote:
1.  There is data in Honts' studies of the examiners' ability to detect countermeasures.  Not just can't  but a certain statistical percentage.  Regardless, Gino did not specify which of the many studies he was using for this assertion and/or provide a cite for readers to check the truth of his statement.  If this is simply Gino¡¯s opinion, then it should be noted as such.

In Honts et al.'s countermeasure studies, polygraphers were not able to detect polygraph countermeasures at better than chance levels.

Quote:
2.  I am not discrediting Drew as a scientist and/or attacking him personally in any way.  I am simply pointing to the fact that he is an expert in Forensic Toxicology and too my knowledge only you have said he is one of the FBI's leading experts in polygraph.  Drew's logic is always welcome in my opinion. I think Drew has some vary valid and sound points when it comes to polygraph.  I agree with him on many issues.  Even if I don't agree with something Drew says, I can appreciate his differing view and agree to disagree with him on ones that I find no evidence for the need to change.  Some of my views have changed through discussions with him.

You attempted to discredit Drew's opinion on the advisability of using countermeasures by attacking his status as a polygraph expert, rather than presenting any rational argument.

Quote:
I¡¯m not here to argue any further points with you.  It is quite evident from reading your posts on here as well as, http://archives.his.com/intelforum/threads4.html#04192 , http://archives.his.com/intelforum/msg02979.html ,and various other sites that your views will not change no matter what evidence is provided.

You haven't brought any evidence to the current discussion.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Going for 2nd Poly. MGQT questions.

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X