Normal Topic just took it today (Read 2625 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box e1d
New User

antipoly recruit

just took it today
Feb 13th, 2002 at 2:09am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
CVSA was pretty much as described here, we did a pre-test, in which he asked questions, some just going over what was on the application and some weird ones like "what's the weirdest sexual thing I have done", "Have I ever paid for sex", "have I ever been sexually abused" and "Have I ever touched an under aged person sexually". These were asked, but not while hooked up. Whole thing took about 1 hour 10 minutes.

Only about 15 questions, like - Have I ever be convicted of a misdemeanor or felony or had one expunged, have I ever tried dope, have I ever stolen anything over a $100, is there any physical item that would keep me from doing the job, did I knowingly withhold anything from the application, have I ever been fired from a job, do I pay child support, have I ever drove over the speed limit. The rest were control - color of his hair, color of the wall, day of the week, color of the floor tile - these I had to answer incorrectly. Also, he wanted me to pause a second or two before answering as not to get part of his voice in the response. This was good for me since it gives you time to take your mind elsewhere and relax.

When test was done, he left for about 5 minutes, came back and said I could leave, looks good. He even said, If I come back and tell you to get out of here, that's good, if I gotta ask some things again, that's deception and not good depending on how many I gotta ask and how much variation there was. So he shared alot of the process with me and was real cool about it. He kinda had the attitude it was just his job and didn't hype it up, but then again, it wasn't his only job, he is also a detective, just trained to do it. So who knows.

I guess I'll see, don't want to get too confident, but from what I have read here, seems like it went well. Only advice I can give is they will go over the questions BEFORE the test. If anything is uncomfortable, while that question was being read, I thought of something funny - in my case, Chevy Chase in Fletch. Really relaxed me. Pay attention to your voice in your answers, he said deception has low tones, so practice your yes and no's and make them consistent. I was saying them to myself on the drive over.

Good luck to all who gotta do the CVSA, hopefully it will work the way it is intended and not boot any honest people. But that's a fantasy...

Many are called, few are chosen

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Re: just took it today
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2002 at 3:10am
e1d,

Thanks for the great description of your CVSA. It sounds like you were successful.

Its odd that he asked you about paying your child support, becuase if you didn't it would surely be a red flag when they did your background. If your background was done correctly that would have been known already. That is why some agencies depend on polygraph and CVSA to do their "investigations" rather than do the footwork.

But then again the attitude you alluded to was that he "was just doing his job" and then he said he was also a detective. You have to wonder about his "truthfulness".

Good Luck

Fred F. Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box e1d
New User

antipoly recruit

Re: just took it today
Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2002 at 11:33pm
Thanks to all - got my acceptance to the academy yesterday. I have other depts I have applied, so I am sure I will have more of these. Having done the CVSA and passed, I am confident with the others using polys since countermeasures can be used. TIP - for CVSA, definitely, the "I don't give shit" attitude is the way to go. You are relaxed confident. Also, practice your answers. If you have Windows 98, use the sound recorder in the accessories area, it will chart you tone similar to a CVSA.

Many are called, few are chosen

IP Logged

just took it today

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X