Normal Topic I am SO Scared (Read 7773 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mortified
New User

I am SO Scared
Feb 7th, 2002 at 3:02am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi everyone.  I won't go into the details of what I have been accused of and what I had to plea to in order to have some semblance of control back in my life, but it does revolve around the infamous "sex offender management" in the state of Colorado.  Suffice it to say that I am misdemeanor and I did not harm anyone.

Now, they want me to take a "Full Sexual History Disclosure" ploygraph exam and I am terrified of false positives.  I have nothing in my life to be ashamed of, but am a naturally emotional person and I can feel myself physically reacting when I think about the situation I am in and the types of questions that they are going to ask me.  I am actually tearful as I write this. Cry Cry Cry

I have dowloaded the material, but am still afraid of my reactions.  Any special, useful advice?

I am also interested to find out if anyone knows about the nuances of this sexual history polygraph -- I want to be able to be as calm as possible and don't need any suprises.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: I am SO Scared
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2002 at 9:26am
Mortified,

I suggest that you carefully read and re-read Chapters 3 & 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. You'll learn how polygraph "tests" really work (and don't) and how to minimize the chances of your becoming a false positive. For further reading on polygraphy, see Professor David T. Lykken's book, A Tremor in the Blood: Uses and Abuses of the Lie Detector.

With regard to post-conviction sex offender "testing" in Colorado, there is an article in Polygraph, the quarterly publication of the American Polygraph Association, titled "Integration of Polygraph Testing with Sexual Offenders in the Colorado Department of Corrections" by Peggy Heil, Sean Ahlmeyer, Burl McCullar, and Bonita McKee (Vol. 29 [2000], No. 1, pp. 26-35) which will be of interest to you. The article describes a ruse designed to encourage admissions whereby subjects are (falsely) threatened with increased sanctions if they fail to make admissions after a "deception indicated" outcome:

Quote:

Sanctioning Deception

The CDOC [Colorado Department of Corrections] is currently sanctioning deception as a means of improving the efficacy of the polygraph. It is common knowledge among polygraphers that the reliability and validity of polygraphy is greatly increased when the offender expects a consequence for lying....

Approximately 80% of CDOC sexual offenders tested without standardized sanctions continued to be deceptive on subsequent polygraphs. As a result, the CDOC developed the Colorado Department of Corrections Polygraph Sanctions Grid (CPSG) to improve the effectiveness of polygraph as a deterrent to reoffense and encourage admissions to deviant behavior. See "The Value of the Post-Conviction Polygraph: The Importance of Sanctions" paper in this issue for an in-depth analysis of sanctions being used across the nation.

The original idea for the grid design was presented by Walt Simon and John Murphy, community treatment providers, at a meeting to discuss these issues in March 1998. The SOTMP [Sex Offender Treatment and Monitoring Program] and Division of Adult Parole met numerous times to identify appropriate standard sanctions for sexual offenders who were deceptive on polygraph exams. The basic concept of the grid is an offender would earn progressively severe sanctions based on the severity of the behavior and whether he admitted to engaging in the behavior. The CPSG provides a comprehensive summary of disclosures, rationalizations made to explain deception, and question results. This system encourages honesty and applies an early intervention before the deviant behavior can progress to a sexual assault. The CPSG is available at the end of this paper.

The above-cited Colorado Dept. of Corrections Polygraph Sanctions Grid Form is simply used to encourage admissions by duping subjects into believing that they will be subject to increased sanctions if their polygraph test is scored as "deception indicated" and they make no post-test admissions.

If you haven't already done so, it would be prudent for you to speak with a lawyer regarding your situation.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mortified
New User

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2002 at 3:46am
George--
Thank you.  Your quote just further proved what snakeoil salesmen these people are and helps me further understand the rules of the game and how to play.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bnickell
New User

Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2002 at 11:02am
I am in Ohio and before I got to court on September the 5th I have already been labeled by the Children Services as being a Sexual Predator. I was told I would be there permanently?
Is there any thing I can do if hopefully the court finds that my neice has lied.
There are just allegations right now but there is an investigation going on and frotunatly for me she has lied, recanted, and lied again.  I refused the polygraph.

Thanks to this website I am convinced that a polygraph is just a LIE and I am ver serious in my conviction.

thanks again
bnickell in Ohio

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box robby (Guest)

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2002 at 5:23am

to : bnickell in Ohio

hello man, looks like you are in the same boat as me my niece lied also then recented then lied then recented she destroyed my life and now i cant live with my wife and 2 little girls. My only advice to you is to  get a good damn lawyer cause i know i didnt have one know i got 10 yrs probation for some something i never did.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box george

Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2002 at 5:14am
You pled guilty Huh.
Do you know that just about every sex offender that gets caught didn't do it? Thats how they rationalize their deviant behavior. I don't know how you twisted the reality of what you did to rationalize it to yourself or family but I would LOVE to read the police report or the facts in this case just to see how innocent you really are. 
After all the did plead guilty. 

YOU SHOULD BE SCARED

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #6 - Oct 27th, 2002 at 5:38am
Would you clarify that last response.

I am reading it and it does not seem to make much sense.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #7 - Oct 27th, 2002 at 8:27am

Quote:

You pled guilty Huh.
Do you know that just about every sex offender that gets caught didn't do it? Thats how they rationalize their deviant behavior. I don't know how you twisted the reality of what you did to rationalize it to yourself or family but I would LOVE to read the police report or the facts in this case just to see how innocent you really are. 
After all the did plead guilty. 

YOU SHOULD BE SCARED

Careful, George.  You're wading fairly carelessly into libel territory.  After all, you really don't know the guy's circumstances, do you?

Of course, given the intellectual level of your "hit-and-run" postings thus far, it's doubtful anyone would really give your opinion much weight.

Skeptic

IP Logged

I am SO Scared

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X