Normal Topic DOE Polygraph Chief Renzelman Caught in a Lie (Read 5809 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

DOE Polygraph Chief Renzelman Caught in a Lie
Feb 3rd, 2002 at 7:37pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Department of Energy polygraph program chief David M. Renzelman told a self-serving lie to the National Academy of Sciences about the outcome of DOE's 23 December 1998 polygraph interrogation of Dr. Wen Ho Lee, when he falsely claimed that DOE did not report the "test" as "truthful." Here's what Mr. Renzelman told the NAS regarding Lee's polygraph "test" at the first public meeting of its Study to Review the Scientific Evidence on the Polygraph on 26 January 2001:

Quote:
...I would like to mention that you've been led to believe that several spy cases in the news have had dual calls or what have you. And let me tell you that the one that was referred to by, by Senator Bingaman, that it was reported as being truthful, and then later as untruthful, that's not the case. That was subjected to quality control, which this gentleman instituted in DOE in, I believe, the month of January 1999, was it? When it came to quality control, it was determined this test is not finished. I made that determination, for him. And then I sent that test down to DoDPI [the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute] and I asked the director of DoDPI and his staff to review that test. They said, unanimously, "That test is not finished." I went to Ken Shull who's the director of the FBI polygraph program, and he said, "You're right." And they ran it again. Then it was finished. The news reported that test as truthful. DOE did not report that test as truthful.

(Mr. Renzelman's remarks, transcribed above, begin about 13 minutes into a RealPlayer audio file that is available on the National Academy of Sciences website.)

But the May 2000 Final Report of the Attorney General's Review Team on the Handling of the Los Alamos National Laboratory Investigation, better known as the "Bellows Report," flatly contradicts Mr. Renzelman's claim that "DOE did not report that test as truthful."

The Bellows Report states at p. 634:

Quote:
(U) After the polygraph examination was over, SA [redacted] and SA [redacted] talked to the polygrapher and were told that Lee had not only passed the polygraph but "blew it away." [redacted] 8/18/99) SA [redacted] said the polygrapher "convinced me we were barking up the wrong tree." (Id.) [DOE counterintelligence chief Edward J.] Curran said that "everyone" was in "a state of shock" that Wen Ho Lee had passed the examination. (Curran 2/9/00) SAC Kitchen asked him: "What are you going to do now, big guy?" (Kitchen 9/10/99) At DOE HQ, Curran and his staff were asking themselves the same question: "Our reaction, when we heard he passed is 'What the hell do we do now?' [redacted] 2/23/00)

A picture of DOE polygrapher Wolfgang Vinskey's scoring of Lee's polygraph "test" is even available on CBSNews.com at:

http://www.cbsnews.com/now/story/0,1597,157338-412,00.shtml 

Clearly, DOE's polygraphers did "report that test as truthful," even if "quality control" later decided to designate it as "not finished." (The FBI later characterized the outcome as "inconclusive, if not deceptive.") In any event, when "the news reported that test as truthful," "the news" got it right. And Mr. Renzelman lied about it.

Shame on you, Mr. Renzelman.
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2002 at 10:52am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

DOE Polygraph Chief Renzelman Caught in a Lie

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X