Normal Topic took poly today (Read 5401 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box therock
Senior User

took poly today
Feb 1st, 2002 at 12:57am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Well I took another poly today I almost laughed in the polygrapher's face because it was just like my last one and it was so similar to how it was mentioned in the Lie Behind the Lie Detector.  There was no post test interrogation.  I do recall though since I had a bad habit of answering yes sir no sir which cleared up after the pretest and then whenthe polygraph was turned on I was asked 2 different sets of questions of course I categorized the irrelevants from the relevants and control's and so on, anyway for one set of questions he asked me not to answer just to answer in my head after he asks the questions, anyway i used the bite the tongue techique which helped last test, but was that normal to do or is this a first?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: took poly today
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2002 at 8:59am
rock,

The questions series on which the polygrapher instructed you to answer the questions in your head is called a "Silent Answer Test." James Allen Matte describes it in Chapter 19 of Forensic Psychophysiology Using the Polygraph (J.A.M. Publications, 1996). The following excerpt from pp. 514-15 helps explain the rationale for this technique:

Quote:

Research conducted by Frank S. Horvath and John E. Reid (1972) revealed that the Silent Answer Test produces better respiratory patterns by eliminating causes of distortions from the examinee who prepares himself or herself to answer each question aloud by inhaling a great amount of air; from the examinee who loudly bellows his or her answer to emphasize his or her denial; from the examinee who feels compelled to give an elaborate answer instead of a simple "yes" or "no" as instructed; and from the examinee whose throat is dry or irritated necessitating the clearing of his or her throat or coughing at intervals during the test.

Their research further indicated an enhancement of the utility of the electrodermal (GSR) recording. The SAT not only produced a chart with greater purity of tracing but also acted as an effective stimulation test for the subsequent polygraph tests/charts requiring a verbal answer.

The stimulating effect of the silent answer test on the guilty examinee may be due to the dilemma encountered when told he or she is not to answer the questions aloud but truthfully and silently to himself or herself. Previously the examinee has geared his or her defenses so that his or verbal answer to the relevant questions would not betray him or her. Now the examinee wonders whether he or she should answer those questions truthfully to himself or herself and presumably not show a reaction, which may reflect a different pattern than the previous charts, or silently answer them the same way as before and perhaps show a strong reaction as he or she may have on previous charts. This causes an inner conflict, a feeling of helplessness, which carries over into the subsequent test requiring a verbal response. The guilty examinee must now readjust his or her defenses again in preparation for his or her verbal responses to the relevant questions, which causes his or mind to race inasmuch as the two tests are administered back-to-back. The examinee's concern is on the relevant questions, which are now an even greater threat to his or her well-being which increases the strength of his or her psychological set onto the relevant questions and creates greater and clearer responses. The Silent Answer Test has the effect of enhancing the threatening power of the relevant questions to the guilty examinee, and conversely also enhances the innocent examinee's concern over the probable-lie control questions inasmuch as the relevant questions should be of no concern to him or her.

While most polygraph techniques employ the Silent Answer Test as a stimulation test and/or countercountermeasure, usually after the second chart, some polygraph techniques use the SAT as the very first test prior to the administration of the relevant issue test and include the SAT data in their decision-making process.

Whether the subject is told to answer the questions verbally or "mentally," the key to passing is still to produce stronger physiological responses to the "control" questions than to the relevant questions.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MissionPoly-ban
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2002 at 9:27am
George:

Just a thought...

Wouldn't it be even more effective, when being administered a silent answers test,  to answer the relevant questions honestly (when I say honestly, read my explanation below) when answering them in your head?

For example:

You're forced to lie about drug use in the pre-test interview/polygraph examination (because the truth will be grounds for elimination).

The examiner's question ends up being, "Other than what you told me,  have you used any other types of drugs?"

You only admitted to the occassional use of marijuana in high school, while the reality is that you did many other drugs.

During the test where you have to verbally respond, you would obviously respond with a "NO" to that question.

But wouldn't it make sense to say "Yes" as a response to that question in your head (along with the use of countermeasures) during the silent answer test?

I pose this question because I would assume that it would help in keeping the relevant question reactions minimized, and would also aid in assuring that the countermeasure reactions are significantly stronger/greater than that relevant question reactions.

Of course, one would have to say "No" when having to respond verbally.

Am I on to anything here? 

Netnin

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2002 at 9:46am
Netnin,

Answering a relevant question truthfully in one's head may or may not result in a weaker reactions to it. If I were somehow compelled to submit to a polygraph interrogation and a "Silent Answer Test" were presented, I would not "answer the questions in my head" at all. Rather, I would maintain my baseline breathing pattern while answering the relevant and irrelevant questions and augment my responses to the "control" questions.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MissionPoly-ban
Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2002 at 10:17pm
George:

Yes, you're right...that would be an even better approach.

Netnin

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box therock
Senior User

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2002 at 1:22am
I thought irrelevants weren't scored?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2002 at 2:31am

therock wrote on Feb 2nd, 2002 at 1:22am:

I thought irrelevants weren't scored?

That is correct.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box e1d
New User

antipoly recruit

Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2002 at 11:04pm
I disagree with it being grounds for elimination unless you answered 'No' on the application. Meaning, "Have you ever tried marijunana", if you said no and now say yes, yep you're screwed, but if you said yes on the applicaton, that doesn't mean you're DQ'd. It means your human and subject to peer pressure like everyone else and were HONEST to have admitted it. I would rather have officers with real world experience than some wussy choir boy who wants to hide behind a badge and push authority. I know a guy who got busted for solicitation to prostitution 15 years ago, it was expunged, thus not accessible in the record check, but he admitted it anyway even though the application only asked for felonys, not misdemeanors. They said they respected his honesty and understood how difficult it must have been to admit such an embarrassing thing.

Many are called, few are chosen

IP Logged

took poly today

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X