Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Polygraph Countermeasure Challenge (Read 366881 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Polygraph Countermeasure Challenge
Reply #270 - Mar 5th, 2007 at 2:51pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Lord_Darkclaw wrote on Mar 5th, 2007 at 2:36pm:
I haven't posted on here for a while, but I thought I'd ask the same question as I have before but in a slightly different way..

A person goes to a polygraph test not believing that it really works and says so to the examiner - the polygraph examiner smiles and shakes his head and gives a demonstration:

He hooks the guy up and asks a couple of simple questions; the guy tries to lie for each question and is horrified to see that each time he tells a lie, the needle swings wildly.   Shocked

So, is this not proof that the test works? 

Or would the needle swing like that whether he lied or not?

Or could could it be that the needle never responds like that at all? 

This last possibility strikes me as unlikely since it must be extremely simple to put to the test. But perhaps I'm wrong; is the scenario I have described simply a myth?  ???

There is no known telltale physiological response uniquely associated with human deception. Lying may or may not be accompanied by physiological changes measurable by the polygraph instrument. In this regard, see Professor William G. Iacono's article, "Forensic 'Lie Detection': Procedures Without Scientific Basis."

Further posts to this message thread should substantially address the relevant topic.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lord_Darkclaw
New User

Reply #271 - Mar 10th, 2007 at 11:12pm
Thanks George, the link is a bit difficult for me to understand but it seems (if I am reading it correctly)  to indicate that polygraph tests are no more or less reliable than the old-fashioned method of looking someone in the eye and asking them.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #272 - Mar 10th, 2007 at 11:16pm
Lord_Darkclaw wrote on Mar 10th, 2007 at 11:12pm:
Thanks George, the link is a bit difficult for me to understand but it seems (if I am reading it correctly)  to indicate that polygraph tests are no more or less reliable than the old-fashioned method of looking someone in the eye and asking them.

That's about right. Polygraphic lie detection has not been demonstrated through peer-reviewed research to work better under field conditions than an interrogator using a dummy polygraph as a placebo.
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2007 at 1:02am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LieBabyCryBaby
Very Senior User

Reply #273 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 3:46am
LieBabyCryBaby wrote on Jan 29th, 2007 at 2:54am:
Just as I expected, Dr. Richardson.  A cop-out.  You don't want to answer that question, and we both know why. So, who's the coward now?   Shocked

Dr. Richardson's silence with regard to my questions, to use an oft-used expression among posters on this forum, "speaks volumes."
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2007 at 4:18am by LieBabyCryBaby »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1904
Ex Member

Reply #274 - May 17th, 2007 at 3:07pm
Dr Drew Richardson obviously knows what he is talking about.
I can teach anyone to pass a polygraph test - in ten minutes flat.

Easy Peasy

Smiley

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #275 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 6:21pm
Since December 13, 2006, Dr. Richardson has failed to respond to this simple question, and we both know why:

As a polygrapher, with all of your experience, did you ever catch an examinee using countermeasures, and if so, how did you know prior to any admission by the examinee?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lloyd Ploense
Ex Member

Reply #276 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 5:19pm
There will be certain questions and circumstances for which countermeasures are not possible.

For example, if a polygraph examiner asks a distraught rape victim if she has raped herself distributing DNA she collected from some vile source upon herself, she will ALLWAYS be proved to be lying by the polygraph test.

I apologize for this observation.  However, the use of polygraphy to accuse crime victims experiencing emotional trauma of harming themselves is orders of magnitude more vile.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #277 - Aug 25th, 2007 at 1:31pm
I don't know of any agency, either Federal or State, that polygraphs rape victims. This is called "victimizing the victim." The victim can not be forced to take a polygraph, nor can the accused.  So, what's the point?

Dr. Richardson and I both know why he can not answer my question. It is a no-win situation for him.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #278 - Aug 25th, 2007 at 4:23pm
LieBabyCryBaby wrote on Aug 25th, 2007 at 1:31pm:
I don't know of any agency, either Federal or State, that polygraphs rape victims. This is called "victimizing the victim." The victim can not be forced to take a polygraph, nor can the accused.  So, what's the point?

Dr. Richardson and I both know why he can not answer my question. It is a no-win situation for him.

In cases of suspected false rape, 'victims' have been tested. Whether the victim was a genuine victim, or, a false victim; (and who would know) it follows that victims have been polygraphed.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #279 - Aug 25th, 2007 at 4:28pm
LieBabyCryBaby wrote on Aug 4th, 2007 at 6:21pm:
Since December 13, 2006, Dr. Richardson has failed to respond to this simple question, and we both know why:

As a polygrapher, with all of your experience, did you ever catch an examinee using countermeasures, and if so, how did you know prior to any admission by the examinee?

LBCB,
It should have dawned on you a long time ago already, that since 13 December 2006, Dr Richardson has been ignoring your 'challenge'.   

Why dont you rise to his challenge?

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #280 - Aug 25th, 2007 at 10:41pm
Others have already satisfactorily explained why Dr. Richardson's "challenge" is an empty challenge.  Maybe you don't know, but he and I both know why he can't answer my question.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #281 - Aug 27th, 2007 at 10:51am
LieBabyCryBaby wrote on Aug 25th, 2007 at 10:41pm:
Others have already satisfactorily explained why Dr. Richardson's "challenge" is an empty challenge.  Maybe you don't know, but he and I both know why he can't answer my question.

LBCB,

As you profess to know what his answer would be / is, why dont you spare us the
ongoing agony of anticipation and simply state what you think / know his answer to be?

Please, spare us the agony.

Now, we await your answer AND we await you to take up Dr R's challenge.

Rgds,

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #282 - Aug 28th, 2007 at 12:46am
Didn't you read what I said?  He really can't answer that question.  The truth would make him look like a fool, while anything else would be just another cop out.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #283 - Aug 28th, 2007 at 5:58am
LieBabyCryBaby wrote on Aug 28th, 2007 at 12:46am:
Didn't you read what I said?  He really can't answer that question.  The truth would make him look like a fool, while anything else would be just another cop out.

Don't you think it is just a bit presumptuous to come to an antipolygraph message board, ignore a long-standing challenge posted there, issue your own challenge, and then claim some sort of victory by omission when your challenge goes unanswered?

It seems reasonable to me that one would require some standing before one could peremptorily ignore a ongoing challenge in favor of issuing one of their own.

Perhaps if you were to meet Dr. Richardson's challenge, successfully or not, you would then have some credentials with which to issue a challenge of your own.  Until then, I am at a loss to understand why you believe your challenge carries the same weight as his.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Reply #284 - Aug 28th, 2007 at 11:40am
Sergeant,

A fool is one who uses the non de plume of LieBabyCryBaby for purposes of coming to an internet site named Antipolygraph.org –a site filled with those professing to be victims of the practice of polygraphy and its practitioner’s poor behavior.  You are right, Sergeant—I don’t suffer fools.  With regard to meeting my challenge, I doubt one who demonstrates such uncritical thinking would  have the credentials (even within his own community) to meet my stated qualifications for accepting the challenge.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Polygraph Countermeasure Challenge

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X