Normal Topic made big mistake on app - now what (Read 7228 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box annonymous

made big mistake on app - now what
Jan 24th, 2002 at 8:46am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
When filling out my application, i answered no to a question that asked if i had ever had my license suspended. i realized afterwards, that many years ago, i actually did have it suspended for lack of car insurance.  Will this show up on the background check? Should I admit the mistake now and if so to whom? HR? At my interview? Before the background check? At the polygraph?

Any thoughts? Embarrassed

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box therock
Senior User

Re: made big mistake on app - now what
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2002 at 5:04pm
ASAP, otherwise you will look deceptive, and actually as if you were hiding skeletons in your closet.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2002 at 7:09pm
I have my interview with the chief on Monday. Should I tell him  or should I email HR and ask if I can submit a new application as I made an error.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box therock
Senior User

Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2002 at 10:00pm
Honestly, I would tell the chief because going to HR shows you are trying to avoid it in front of the chief, also if you confront the chief about it he or she will appreciate your honesty, and since the suspension was attibuted to not having insurance and not because of driving infractions, I don't think this should be a problem, like I said better off telling them than having it discovered.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2002 at 10:10pm
Thank you for your responses.  I will fill out a brand new application and bring it with me to my interviews.   If they disqualify me because of it, it is better to know now, then get  to the point of background checks/polygraphs.   

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2002 at 3:27am
Annonymous,

I concur with therock's response. It is imperitive that you discuss this matter with the Chief. I wouldn't fill out another application because that is a mute issue. 

You should write a detailed letter explaining your omission and that it was not intentional on your part. Chances are the Chief will have you document this error and if you have already done so, you are demonstrating an honest approach to your failure and willingness to include it on your application. 

Failure to have insurance and having your driving privledges revoked is a MAJOR lack of maturity and may be your undoing. It is better to admit than to try and deceive them as it WILL show up when they run your Motor Vehicles check.

Good Luck

Fred F. Wink

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2002 at 3:52am
So, when in the interview process do you think I should bring this problem up. I am thinkinig if I start the process this way then it'll foreshadow on the rest of my interview.  I was thinking I would wait until the "do you have any questions for us" part of it.  I would play it kinda naive and say that I remembered information that I did not list on my original application.

Also, do they check juvenile records in the background check process. If I was arrested for shop lifting in junior high would that show up? Do I need to list that on the application?

IP Logged

Very Senior User

is Power

Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2002 at 8:35am
Quote:

I would play it kinda naive and say that I remembered information that I did not list on my original application.

Also, do they check juvenile records in the background check process. If I was arrested for shop lifting in junior high would that show up? Do I need to list that on the application?

Annonymous,

If you withold information, it will only hurt you because if you are given a THOROUGH background investigation, everything you ever did will show. Playing naive will show a lack of maturity and that along with the "I just remembered" will more than likely produce negative results. LE agencies will generally dismiss you if you don't have good judgement and maturity.

As far as your juvenile records go, it is quite possible they will be checked. Your fingerprint cards are sent to the proper agencies for records searchs. 

If it's out there and they find it and you haven't informed them, you are DQed.

Fred F.  Wink

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2002 at 12:44am
I had my interview today. All went well. I took my revised application to HR before the interview and kept a copy for the PD Dept. At the end of the iv, they asked if any information had changed since I originally submitted my app. Perfect segway, I explained about the c.d.l. suspension 15 years ago.  She said they wouldn't be concerned about something so long ago, but appreciated me bringing it up.   

I guess the best part is now I know I've been completely honest. I thnk the interviews went well, and  will look to these boards when my poly is scheduled.

thanks for everyone's advice.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

is Power

Reply #9 - Jan 29th, 2002 at 3:43am

Quote:

they asked if any information had changed since I originally submitted my app. Perfect segway, I explained about the c.d.l. suspension 15 years ago.  She said they wouldn't be concerned about something so long ago, but appreciated me bringing it up.  

I guess the best part is now I know I've been completely honest. I thnk the interviews went well, and  will look to these boards when my poly is scheduled.

Annonymous,

At this point, has the PD seen your "revised" app? Be aware of the fact that the HR people are civilians and only do "routine" pre-employment interviewing and they aren't really concerned with DL issues. 

The DL issue will be raised by the PD during your background investigation, so BE PREPARED

Good Luck

Fred F. Wink

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Apr 22nd, 2002 at 9:36pm
FYI.... I was offered the position and start this Sunday... This whole issue was not even an issue...  The scary thing is I almost didn't go to the interview because you'all had me so worried that I already blew it and didn't stand a chance....  I guess the lesson here folks, is to go with your gut, and take the advice you get on these boards with a grain of salt. Each situation is unique and needs to be treated as such.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #11 - Apr 22nd, 2002 at 11:34pm

Quote:

FYI.... I was offered the position and start this Sunday... This whole issue was not even an issue...  The scary thing is I almost didn't go to the interview because you'all had me so worried that I already blew it and didn't stand a chance....  I guess the lesson here folks, is to go with your gut, and take the advice you get on these boards with a grain of salt. Each situation is unique and needs to be treated as such.  

Hi anonymous,

Congratulations on your job offer. I don't mean to quibble, but didn't you take the advice of Fred and The Rock, use it perfectly, and come out of a potential hiring problem with no problems at all?

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

made big mistake on app - now what

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X