Normal Topic PhilaPD (Read 3003 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Larry

PhilaPD
Jan 19th, 2002 at 3:24am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I recently applied to the Philadelphia PD and scored near perfect on all of my tests.  I got to the polygraph stage with no worries at all.  When I took it the first time, the officer asked me all the questions about drugs, criminal history, etc.  I filled out the form and gave it back then proceeded with the machine hooked up.  Fifteen minutes later it was over and the female officer told me I failed without even really looking at it.  When I asked her what questions I did not "pass" on she said it was not up to her to discuss the matter and that I needed to reschedule the exam for a different date.  I rescheduled and the same lady gave me the test again a week later(only later did I realize that this in itself was against the PPD's policy).  I took the test once again with the same outcome.  I assumed I had passed since she did not tell me otherwise and asked when the next step would be.  She said that she would review the exam results then told me to call my background investigator in a week.  She apparently did not know this time if I passesd as quickly as the last.
I called a week later to find out that the results were not in yet.  I called for a month until my investigator told me he just got the results in and I failed again.  When I asked him what took so long he told me sometimes that happens(great excuse huh?).  Anyway, I was told to wait till they offered the next test(6 mos. later) and re-apply for the whole process again.
Does anyone know of any reason why 1. She could not tell me right away the second time or 2.  Why I was only given 2 times to take the polygraph when others took it as many as 6 times?  If anyone know the reason or anyone had the same experience please email me.  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Re: PhilaPD
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2002 at 6:31am
Larry,

I am sorry to hear of your situation. Regrettably, we have heard from a number of individuals who have had bad experiences with the Philadelphia Police polygraph.

The answers to your questions lie in the fact that there are often no formally defined policies with regard to polygraphs. Furthermore, in the few cases where there are official policies, applicants are frequently not informed of them. These factors, along with the total unreliability of polygraphy, make the polygraph process extremely prone to abuse.

Some polygraphers give results at the end of each "test." Others will say nothing and allow an applicant to be notified by mail. Also, keep in mind that it is quite common with many agencies for one individual to get disqualified after a single "failure" or "inconclusive" while another person with connections in the department is polygraphed as many times as it takes him to "pass." This alarming frequency of this type of bias is among the most repugnant things about pre-employment polygraph screening.

I strongly suggest filing an appeal with the local civil service board, especially if you know that department policy has been violated.

P.S.: Were you subjected to the “hot box” before either of your "tests?" A number of Philadelphia applicants have reported to us that they were ushered into a small room with a space heater running on full blast (in an already warm building) before the test. The room was closed, making them very uncomfortable (this appears to be a psychological interrogation tactic).

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Larry

Re: PhilaPD
Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2002 at 2:35am
Now that you mention it, I was put in a small room with a heater on.  I never though about that since it was winter time but there were vents supplying regular head from building furnaces then there was a space heater against the wall of the room which is only about 6 foot square.  Trust me, it was hot as hell in there.  The other features of this room that lies in the basement of the building were 1. a two-way mirror and 2. A framed quote from I think Robert Frost about a pallipation of one's blood with always reveal a lie or something to that nature.  They make you sit in this room for about 30-45 minutes before you take the actual test.  This room in itself was probably one major tactic to put a person's tension levels through the roof.  Thanks for helping me remeber that.

IP Logged

PhilaPD

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X