Normal Topic personal history (Read 3800 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box therock
Senior User

personal history
Dec 7th, 2001 at 10:50pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
i have the concept of relevant and control down, but let's say the departments policy was that one is qualified as long as they are 21, 30 hours of college, no felony convictions or domestic violence.  Now if a question pops up during the poly about one's psychological history, would this be considered control rather than relevant, this confuses me since I know that if one has been counseled, diagnosed, you can bet the department will not take you, which makes the question serious ie relevant, but since it's so broad and not outlined on their policy of requirements confuses me whether it's control or not?  Please if one has a clue i would appreciate the info, i have a poly soon really soon and i don't think I am gonna use countermeasures b/c I only have 85 percent of the idea down, and from what I can conclude if you don't have the whole thing down, you're going to do more harm than good, but then again, so many people report lying their ass off and making it, which makes me think that going in there with the being calm technique is what I should employ, i will be reading up on this for a while before test to see if i should do it or not, but please if one has the answer to my above question your help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance

IP Logged

Senior User

Re: personal history
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2001 at 1:50am
anybody?

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2001 at 6:01am
while questions about felonies are relevant questions and for the most part dq's what about questions about committing misdemeanors since most departments only dq one if he or she has a felony or domestic violence?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2001 at 8:25am
Quote:
while questions about felonies are relevant questions and for the most part dq's what about questions about committing misdemeanors since most departments only dq one if he or she has a felony or domestic violence?

Rock,

With most departments, any felony conviction is an automatic DQ. This should not be taken to mean that only those with a felony conviction are DQd. On many departments, a person with no convictions whatsoever--misdemeanor or felony) but a large number of arrests (8-10) will still be disqualified despite his clean record. Misdemeanors are evaluated on a case-to-case basis. As you know, domestic violence misdemeanor is an automatic DQ (federal law states that those with any DV conviction cannot carry a gun). Most other misdemeanors will usually be found acceptable if they are far enough removed and you explain them properly (i.e. take responsibility and admit that you were wrong).

Polygraph questions (relevant or otherwise) on one's psych history or misdemeanors are extremely uncommon to say the least. I would not expect any. The only misdemeanor question I have ever heard being used on a polygraph “test” is “Have you ever driven under the influence of alcohol?” As you know, this is a control question.

Quote:
i don't think I am gonna use countermeasures b/c I only have 85 percent of the idea down, and from what I can conclude if you don't have the whole thing down, you're going to do more harm than good,

I don't know where you are getting this. If you positively recognize a control question (i.e. "Have you ever lied to a supervisor/loved one, etc?") and you think exciting thoughts during it, you still vastly improve your chances of "passing."

I think you are reading way too far into a lot of this stuff (which is good in the way, because it shows you have been diligent in your preparation). A lot of the questions you bring up appear to be from a background packet. Remember, during the whole test, the examiner will likely have only 5-7 relevant questions (usually spread over two charts). Wait until the day of the “test” before you make your decision on using countermeasures. From the amount of time it appears you have spent on this, I have the feeling that you will be pleasantly surprised to see the questions on your "test" to be shockingly similar to those described in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #4 - Dec 8th, 2001 at 4:52pm
Yes sirree bob, I will be using the CM'S, bite the tongue technique, have practiced it on some occasions to make it not noticable, I'll let you know the results.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box AMM
User

Reply #5 - Dec 8th, 2001 at 8:57pm
The Rock:

This is obviously unsolicited advice, but I would recommend downloading/ordering Mr. Doug Williams manual "How to Sting the Polygraph" from his website www.polygraph.com to complement information found in "The Lie Behind the Lie Detector."  Mr. Williams is a former police polygrapher, periodically updates his manual, and will promptly respond to your emails.   

Mr. Williams' techniques are consistent with those described in "The Lie Behind the Lie Detector", but I believe the addtional information on relevant and control questions and countermeasures can only increase your chances of success. The $50 pricetag may seem a little high, but it gives you near instant access to him.  I employed his cardio/breathing techniques (in addition to the behavioral countermeasures found at this site) successfully to prevent a second "false positive" outcome on my LAPD polygraph.  I believe that constriction of the anal spinchter muscle is superior to tongue biting in that it is impossible to detect.  (Just don't squeeze too hard; a little squeeze can have a BIG effect.)  If you have adequately prepared yourself and understand all the information in "The Lie Behind the Lie Dectector" you will have no problem identifying control from relevant questions.

I don't want to sound like a salesman for Mr. Williams, but simply put, you can't have too much information.   

R,

AMM

IP Logged

personal history

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X