Normal Topic drug questions (Read 2913 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box grad_student
New User

drug questions
Dec 4th, 2001 at 1:33pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
In the near future I am going to take the Poly for a LE job, I was just wondering if I would fail the test because : If a question was asked pertaining the sale of drugs, and I felt guilt because I readily saw them used and sold  right in front of me even though i didnt do it could I get dq for it.  Even though it happened many years ago 5+ I feel a deep sense of guilt because I saw close friends and family ruin there lives because of drugs and did not do anything about it.   
any advice will help  ???

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Re: drug questions
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2001 at 4:43pm
Grad Student,

It is nearly impossible to speculate as to whether you (or anyone) will pass or fail a polygraph "test," even if you are completely truthful. Polygraph screening is completely unreliable--a pseudoscientific fraud that continues despite near universal opposition by academics.

Despite what those who make their livings via the fraudulent process of polygraphy will tell you, it is entirely possible that because of your experience that you will feel stress when answering the drug question and therefore be falsely accused.

Any applicant--whether completely truthful or not--should consider employing polygraph countermeasures, which are described in our free online book The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, to surreptitiously manipulate the “test” to ensure "passing" results.

Also, remember that all polygraph "tests" are actually interrogations. Whether or not you choose to admit your contact with drugs is a decision only you can make. If you choose to mention your experiences to the examiner, be prepared to be aggressively questioned about them ("Why did you choose to hang around these degenerates?, etc). The examiner will press the issue, attempting to get you to make any disqualifying admission.  

While many applicants are rejected on polygraph charts alone, others are rejected because they are duped into making admissions. Remember, a man with 8 weeks of training in a process never validated by peer-reviewed scientific evidence cannot read your mind.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box therock
Senior User

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2001 at 6:07pm
while it's true a more serious question makes it relevant, now in regards to drug use.  A question about drug use, ex have you ever used illegal drugs, isn't this a control question?  I say this because wouldn't the polygrapher beleive that almost every1 has at least tried drugs once or so, now I can understand the question of have you ever violated this agency's drug policy a relevant question.  I mean you describe drug use question as a relevant question b/c of it's seriousness, but in general many of us have smoked marijuana or experimented with it at least once, so wouldn't this be a probable lie control question?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2001 at 5:23am
Rock,

Many agencies will have expected you to have "tried" marijuana. If you say NO, this can raise a "red flag" in many cases. As Gino points out you may encounter hostilities from the examiner in an effort to root out more information that they can use against you.

If you have used drugs in the past it is your decision whether or not to reveal this. If you are honest, be prepared to defend yourself vigorously and don't offer additional information that can be used against you.

Study The Lie Behind the Lie Detector and use your knowledge to get positive results on your poly

GOOD LUCK

Fred F. Wink

IP Logged

drug questions

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X