Normal Topic Failed Pre-Employment Poly but Still Considered? (Read 2557 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MissionPoly-ban
Very Senior User

Failed Pre-Employment Poly but Still Considered?
Nov 30th, 2001 at 6:34am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I read over a post on this message board that talks about the idea of LAPD dropping the requirement that a person must pass the polygraph to be considered for hire.

Here is what I find to be a very interesting question (Let me set up the question with a quick explanation of the situation)

About a year ago, I took a polygraph test, psychological test, 
interview with a psychologist, interview with the department, etc. for a local PD.

I was up against one other person for the job who was above me in rankings on the list (for example, they were the #1 person and I was the #3 person).

The person above me (that I was up against for the job) had passed all the tests (that I metioned above), and they hired that person based on the fact that they passed all the tests and were higher up on the list (not to mention some other more favorable things they found in the person as well).

However, in my final interview I was told the following:

That they decided to hire the other person because they were in a more favorable position, 

BUTTT

They were going to keep me on the list and hire me if another opening were to take place.  Unfortunately, another opening never occurred and the list expired.

Here is what interests me:

I just got back the results for the polygraph that I took for that department (I requested them via the mail), and discovered that I DID NOT PASS the polygraph test.  The examiner found me deceptive on a couple of relevant questions.

My question is:  Was the person I had the final interview with pulling my leg and trying to be nice and let me down without saying "sorry your a gonner"...?  Or is it possible that they were really still considering me for hire EVEN THOUGH I did not pass the polygraph test?

I was under the assumption that it was up to the department as to whether or not they wanted to eliminate someone based solely on the polygraph test, but after reading a post on here about the LAPD, it became clear to me that maybe the Department isn't allowed to hire someone if they don't pass the poly...even if they like the person and think they would do a good job.

Could someone enlighten me on this confusing situation?

I want to find out if the person was pulling my leg by saying I was still up for hire, because I will be quite upset and plan on making it clear that I am aware of their bluff....

Any thoughts?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box therock
Senior User

Re: Failed Pre-Employment Poly but Still Considere
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2001 at 7:34am
I don't think he was pulling your leg just due to the fact that there are some applicants that do fail the academy or do not pass FTO or probation, and I think that they need to keep a certain amount of qualified individuals just in case any of the above do happen, and since most lists are posted after oral itnerviews and before polys, psychs, and medicals, they can't look into the future and see if the elgibles will be what they fit as a police officer of their municipality, hence that's what psychologicals are used for, but imo you were basically a safety net to them in case good old "butt kissing" number one didn't make it thru.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MissionPoly-ban
Very Senior User

Re: Failed Pre-Employment Poly but Still Considere
Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2001 at 8:53am
Rock....

That is an absolutely outstanding point!

That never even crossed my mind.

That makes absolute sense, because, as you point out, a lot of lazy bastards don't even make it through the initial physical agility test that must be passed at the start of the academy.

I think your dead on, and that he was bluffing in the sense that they weren't planning on hiring me down the road, but rather keeping me on the list incase bucko didn't make it through the academy successfully.

Thanks ROCK!

IP Logged

Failed Pre-Employment Poly but Still Considered?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X