Normal Topic Need Expert Advice:  What Type/Test Might This Be? (Read 1886 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MissionPoly-ban
Very Senior User

Need Expert Advice:  What Type/Test Might This Be?
Nov 30th, 2001 at 2:17am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I just got back the results from the first polygraph test I took.

Thinking back, I realized that the test wasn't ran like the common "probable lie control questions test" we hear so much about on this board, and after receiving the results, I am having a hard time figuring out what kind of test this was.  

Here are the questions that were asked (All of them were asked during the test):

------------------------------------------------------------
QUESTIONS ASKED ON TEST:

1.Have you committed any thefts in merchandise from places of employment?

2.Have you committed any thefts in money from places of employment?

3.Have you committed any thefts from a store by shoplifting?
3a.Have you shoplifted since______?

4.Have you ever been involved in any illegal drug trafficking or 
dealing?

5.Are you consuming any illegal drugs(s) at this time?

6.Has the use of alcohol ever affected your job performance?

7.Have you used any illegal drugs?
 7a.Have you used illegal drugs since_____?

8.Have you intentionally falsified or minimized any details in your written testing or any information we have asked you?

9.Have you ever taken part in any type of organized crime?

10.Other than traffic violations,  have you been charged with a crime as a juvenile (before age 18)?

11.Have you ever been arrested for anything other than traffic violations?

12.Have you committed a crime?

13.Have you attempted to conceal anything in your background that would affect your chances for this position?

14.Have you failed to reveal any psychological/physical/emotional condition that could affect the results of this polygraph examination today?

15.Have you committed any sexual felony crime since the age of 18?

Notes:  The copy of results mentions the following:

"...all applicable questions were answered 'no'"

"If any admissions are made during the pretest interview regarding any ot the listed questions,  they are modified to read,  'Besides what you have told about...' on the test."

"Questions marked "a" are used only if the subject has made admissions regarding the issue."

Does anyone who has read this post have any idea what kind of test this might be?  What kind of test would most likely be 
formulated using the above pretest interview questions?

The only two questions that appear to be obvious control questions are, 

Question 12:  "Have you ever committed a crime," 

Question 1:  the possible control question that could be formulated out of the question "Have you committed any thefts in merchandise from places of employment" (Turned into, Besides what you told me..."

I have read some posts on here that speak of polygraph tests that use disquised control questions.  Is it possible that this is a "disquised" probable lie control questions test?
(If so,  might question 8 might be a disquised control question...?).

Your thoughts and expertise will be greatly appreciated.

I might be put in the situation where I have to take this same formatted test again, and I am trying to determine where the control questions are so that I can employ countermeasures.

Thanks sincerely, 
Netnin Yahoo

(PS:  Also, the results concuded by the examiner state whether or not they found me deceptive on all of the above questions (example:  "There were no significant emotional reactions indicative of deception on the following questions:
1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15. There were significant emotional reactions 
indicative of deception on the following question(s):
2,4,6,8,10,12,14." 

Might this be a trick by the examination agency to make me think that all the questions were looked at equally?  Rating all the questions as being truthfull or deceptive conflicts with the statement "All applicable questions were answered "no,"  which was stated earlier in the copy of results.  If only some of the tests were applicable, does this mean that this was a control questions test? Moreover, if this was a control questions test, might the agency have been trying to trick me by stating whether or not each and every question was deceptive or not?

Or is it common practice for some examiners to state whether or not the examinee was truthfull of control questions?)

« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2001 at 8:56am by MissionPoly-ban »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MissionPoly-ban
Very Senior User

Re: Need Expert Advice:  What Type/Test Might This
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2001 at 2:41am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
In addition:

The examiner found me deceptive on questions   
1, 2, 3, 7, 7a, 8, 12, amd 13

I thought Question #1 was a definite control question "other than what you told me, did you steal anything else from place of employment?"

I thought Question #2 might be a sacrifice relevant "Did you steal any money from where you worked?"  ....maybe a sacrifice relevant?

Question #3 seems to be relevant....? Not sure

Question 7 about drugs obviously relevant, as well as 7a about proximity of use.

Question 8: Possibly DISGUISED CONTROL "have you falsified minimized any details we have asked you about"

Question12:  A clear control question "Have you committed a crime?"

Question 13: HAve you attempted to conceal anything in your background that would affect your chances for this position?"
Seems like a relevant, but might this be a disquised control as well?

What do you think? Am I on to anything here?

IP Logged

Need Expert Advice:  What Type/Test Might This Be?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X