Normal Topic DSS Withholds R/I Screening Documentation (Read 10937 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

DSS Withholds R/I Screening Documentation
Nov 25th, 2001 at 4:15pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Who Do They Think They're Fooling? And What Are They Hiding?

The Defense Security Service (DSS) has denied AntiPolygraph.org's 5 Sep. 2001 Freedom of Information Act request for "[a]ll Department of Defense Polygraph Institute (DoDPI) materials describing the R/I (Relevant/Irrelevant) Screening Test, whether on paper, videotape, computer media, or in any other format."

In its letter of denial dated 9 Nov. 2001, DSS (DoDPI's parent agency) claims that the requested material is exempt from the Freedom of Information Act because it "relates solely to the internal rules and practices of the Department of Defense, Defense Security Service" and constitutes "investigative techniques and procedures, the release of which could reasonably be expected to risk circumvention of the law."

Before discussing the merits of DSS's stated reasons for withholding the requested material, which is unclassified, some discussion of just what the Relevant/Irrelevant (R/I) technique is is in order. In this polygraph technique, the polygrapher asks the subject a series of relevant questions (e.g., "Did you use an illegal drug?) interspersed with irrelevant questions (e.g., "Are the lights on in this room?"). The questions are asked multiple times in different order over multiple polygraph charts, and may be differently phrased. As with the "Control" Question "Test," the irrelevant questions are not scored. Instead, the polygrapher examines the polygraph charts looking for "consistent, specific, and significant" reactions to a particular relevant question. (Polygraphers have a mnemonic expression for such reactions: "con-spec-nificant.") For example, if a subject consistently shows strong physiological questions when asked, "Did you use an illegal drug?" no matter what the order of the questions or how this question is phrased, deception will be inferred, and a post-test interrogation will follow. In addition, a "breakdown test" (a type of peak of tension test) may follow. For example, the subject who shows "con-spec-nificant" reactions to the question "Did you use an illegal drug?" may be asked questions like the following in a "breakdown test": "In connection with the question on illegal drugs, does anything disturb you about the following things?:

Marijuana?
Cocaine?
Heroin?
LSD?
Methamphetamine?"

Again, the question order is mixed and repeated. If the subject shows "con-spec-nificant" reactions to any one particular question in the list, then the polygrapher infers that this is an area of concern to the subject, and follows up with an interrogation along those lines.

Apart from examination of the polygraph charts, the polygrapher may also use his subjective impressions in making a determination of truth or deception.

The R/I "test" is one of the oldest polygraph techniques. Like the "Control" Question "Test," it is also thoroughly discredited, and there is absolutely no peer-reviewed research supporting its validity. Professor David T. Lykken devotes Chapter 7 of A Tremor in the Blood: Uses and Abuses of the Lie Detector to the R/I technique. He notes two assumptions on which the R/I "test" depends, the second of which is, as he terms it, "wildly implausible":

ASSUMPTION 1. A guilty subject whose relevant answers are lies will be more aroused by the relevant than by the irrelevant questions and this difference will be revealed by his responses on the polygraph.

ASSUMPTION 2. An innocent subject who is answering truthfully will not be disturbed by the relevant questions and will show no more reaction to them than to the irrelevant questions.

It is appropriate to cite here in full Professor Lykken's discussion of the validity of this technique:

Validity of the R/I Test

So much for theory and common sense; what is the evidence? It is astonishing to discover that, in 70 years of use prior to 1997, the only published studies assessing R/I test accuracy using "blind" evaluations of charts obtained from criminal suspects were one described by Larson[reference deleted] in 1938 and another by Horvath,[reference deleted] in 1968. Larson asked nine judges to read the charts obtained from 62 suspects. Only 1 of the 62 suspects had actually lied and yet the number scored as deceptive by the nine judges ranged from 5 to 30. This amount of disagreement among the nine judges indicates poor reliability. The average judge scored about one-third of the innocent suspects as deceptive, which means that two-thirds of these innocents failed to give large reactions to the relevant questions and were scored as truthful, just as Assumption 2 demands. One might have thought that Assumption 2 would nearly always be wrong and that most subjects would fail the R/I test whether innocent or guilty. That is in fact what Horvath reported; all of his innocent suspects were erroneously classified as deceptive by the R/I test, whereas Larson's earlier study reported only 33% false positives. We should not put too much faith in the exact percentage of errors found but we can say that, just as common sense would predict, a high proportion of innocent subjects will "fail" the R/I test. Quite recently the Raskin group of lie detector advocates published the results of a mock crime laboratory study[reference deleted] in which the R/I method classified all 15 of the "guilty" suspects as deceptive but at the expense of identifying only 3 of the 15 "innocent" subjects as truthful.

Nonetheless, the U.S. Government appears to be actively relying on this most dubious of polygraph techniques for national security purposes. For example, in October 2001, DoDPI taught its two-week course on the Relevant/Irrelevant screening "test" in Chantilly, Virginia, home to the National Reconnaissance Office.

Now, as mentioned in AntiPolygraph.org's Freedom of Information Act request, on 25 January 2001, Dr. Andrew Ryan, chief of the DoDPI Research  Division, speaking at the first public meeting of the National Academy of Sciences/National Research Council Study to Review the  Scientific Evidence on the Polygraph, stated:

"The curriculum at DoDPI, the lesson plans as they are being reviewed by the Middle States and others for the accreditation process, it's -- they're finding out that the curriculum there is based on research.... The curriculum changes that occur there, when we -- when and if we modify the curriculum, the training that the examiners receive, it must be backed up by research findings. So, unlike the early days in the 1950s when the school was located at Fort Jackson [sic] and I guess we would have to say the school, the training, was basically governed and controlled by the folklore of the polygraph industry, and now it's driven by research..."

AntiPolygraph.org is very interested in knowing on what "research" DoDPI's Relevant/Irrelevant polygraph screening "test" is based, and our request specifically included any such research. Could it be that despite Dr. Ryan's testimony before the National Academy of Sciences, the DoDPI Relevant/Irrelevant "test" is based on nothing more than "the folklore of the polygraph industry?"

DSS's letter of denial suggests that such is precisely the case. While specifically claiming that "the entire R/I Screening Test can be withheld," the letter makes no mention of any research regarding this "test." Indeed, DSS failed to comply with the Freedom of Information Act requirement that "In denying a request for records, in whole or in part, an agency shall make a reasonable effort to estimate the volume of any requested matter the provision of which is denied, and shall provide any such estimate to the person making the request..." Although the Act contemplates exemptions to this requirement, it seems clear that no such exemption applies to the present request. AntiPolygraph.org has e-mailed DSS requesting an inventory of the responsive materials that DSS identified and reviewed, along with a description of each item.

Let us turn now to the rationale DSS put forward for withholding all documentation of its R/I "test." It invoked exemption (b)(2)(high), which pertains to information which relates solely to the internal rules and practices of the Department of Defense. This claim is demonstrably false. DoDPI's R/I Screening course is open to any federally certified or contracted polygrapher, as well as to any polygrapher "employed by a state, county, or local law enforcement or corrections agency who has graduated from a PDD course at a school accredited by the American Polygraph Association." (See the prerequisites listed in DoDPI's R/I screening course description.)

Clearly, documentation regarding DoDPI's Relevant/Irrelevant "test" does not relate "solely to the internal rules and practices of the Department of Defense."

DSS further claims that the release of the requested material "could reasonably be expected to risk circumvention of the law." This is a tacit admission by DSS that it believes that the Relevant/Irrelevant "test" depends on secret knowledge. But can DSS credibly claim that releasing any information at all about DoDPI's Relevant/Irrelevant "test" could reasonably be expected to lead to circumvention of the law?

The Relevant/Irrelevant technique was not invented by the U.S. Government. The technique was pioneered by Leonarde Keeler (1903-1949), who opened the first polygraph school, the Keeler Polygraph Institute, in Chicago, Illinois. Many of the U.S. Government's first polygraphers received their training there, including the late Raymond J. Weir, Jr. of the National Security Administration (NSA), who attended the Keeler Polygraph Institute in 1951. There he learned the Relevant/Irrelevant technique, which NSA used for polygraph screening for decades (and may still use). Weir went on to become chief of the NSA polygraph program and president of the American Polygraph Association (APA).

Raymond J. Weir, Jr. apparently did not share DSS's view that to release any information about the Relevant/Irrelevant screening technique "could reasonably be expected to lead to circumvention of the law" because he described it in minute detail in two articles published in the APA quarterly publication, Polygraph:

"In Defense of the Relevant-Irrelevant Polygraph Test." Polygraph, Vol. 3 (1974), No. 2, pp. 119-166.

"Some Principles of Question Selection and Sequencing for Relevant-Irrelevant Testing." Polygraph, Vol. 5 (1976), No. 3, pp. 207-222.

In these articles, it is clear that Mr. Weir describes the Relevant/Irrelevant technique as practiced by the NSA. Would the director of the NSA polygraph program have published these articles if such publication "could reasonably be expected to lead to circumvention of the law?"

More recently, DoDPI released to Dr. James Allan Matte, a private citizen who happens to be a polygrapher, a 1995 manual on a different Relevant/Irrelevant technique then used for personnel screening, the General Question "Test." Dr. Matte cites the 42-page document at pages 92 and 464 of his 1996 book, Forensic Psychophysiology Using the Polygraph - Scientific Truth Verification - Lie Detection. DoDPI seemed unconcerned that releasing this information to a polygraph insider "could reasonably be expected to lead to circumvention of the law." (When AntiPolygraph.org requested the same information, DSS replied that it couldn't find it, claiming that it "most likely has been discarded.")

It seems that it is only when critics of polygraphy request such information that claims of privilege are invoked to withhold it. DoDPI's motto is "Justice and Security Through Truth," but it appears that DoDPI and the DSS don't want you and me to know the truth about their Relevant/Irrelevant screening "test."

AntiPolygraph.org's request for this information is especially timely, because the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) is currently conducting a Rev iew of the Scientific Evidence on the Polygraph, with a special emphasis on polygraph screening. Is documention of the Relevant/Irrelevant screening "test" to be withheld from the NAS, too? If so, how can the NAS proceed with its work?

On the other hand, if this information is to be provided to the NAS with the stipulation that it not be publicly disclosed, will the U.S. Government then seek to withhold the final NAS report from the public based on alleged national security concerns?

Watch AntiPolygraph.org for further developments regarding our request for documentation of DoDPI's Relevant/Irrelevant screening "test." Comments welcome here.
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2001 at 6:08pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Re: DSS Withholds R/I Screening Documentation
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2001 at 4:23pm
In an e-mail dated 29 Nov. 2001, DSS indicates that the only document responsive to AntiPolygraph.org's FOIA request that it has identified and withheld is a 38-page course lesson plan titled, "DoD Polygraph Institute Relevant/Irrelevant Screening Test."

Since AntiPolygraph.org's request specifically included "any DoDPI research materials related to the R/I Screening Test," DSS's response is a tacit admission that DoDPI has conducted no research whatsoever regarding the validity of this so-called "test," and that, Dr. Ryan's assurances to the National Academy of Sciences notwithstanding, DoDPI's Relevant/Irrelevant screening "test" is "governed and controlled by the folklore of the polygraph industry."

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Re: DSS Withholds R/I Screening Documentation
Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2002 at 12:53pm
AntiPolygraph.org has independently obtained a copy of a DoDPI R/I screening instructional worksheet, which may now be read on-line here:

http://antipolygraph.org/documents/dodpi-relevant-irrelevant.shtml

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X