Normal Topic Some Questions (Read 3765 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MissionPoly-ban
Very Senior User

Some Questions
Nov 15th, 2001 at 9:58am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
The following are some questions I am searching for answers for.  If you think you can help, please be kind and respond.

1.Are there any sites on the web that give a DETAILED description of how polygraphs are scored? (There is one available through a link from the Antipolygraph.org reading room, but it doesn't give much detail, and is hard to understand for someone unfamiliar with polygraph tests).

2.Can someone tell me the order of tracings from top to bottom on a polygraph chart with respects to GSR, CARDIO, and RESPIRATION.  (Meaning Top line of tracings is....Middle line is....Bottom line is...?).  I got a glimpse at a chart from a polygraph I took, and the only thing I got a good view of was great change in the top line where I used countermeasures....I assume it was the GSR, but am truly not sure).

3.Would the use of the old tac-in-the-shoe tricK cause significant changes in just the GSR, or would the pain also affect the cardio/blood volume?  Also, might it even affect breathing if the pain is intense enough?

4.The arguement over the ability for polygraphers to distinguish countermeasures through simply analyzing the charts is a very controversial issue.  What do you think of the following conclusion (though I may be way off since I am new at learning about polygraphs):
***Could it be that polygraphers are able to determine what might seem to be countermeasures based on their analyzation of the charts, but they are not allowed to fail a person based on countermeasures DETERMINED ON THE CHARTS...only allowed to score a test being inconclusive if they find what appears to be countermeasures on the charts?  In other words, they would only be able to fail a person for using countermeasures if they catch them in the act, as they have proof and possibly admittance (Kinda the innocent until proven guilty idea...?).  This would explain why they use counter-countermeasures--to have the proof that the person was using countermeasures so that they can rightfully fail them?  It seems, from what I read, a polygrapher is only allowed to determine a polygraph reading to be DI/NDI/Inconcusive, but they are not able to have a fourth conclusion of "FAILED because they used countermeasures," unless caught IN THE ACT.  Am I on to something here, or have I gotton myself mixed up big time  Undecided

5.Might it be possible to determine how polygraphers determine countermeasures on a polygraph CHART by carefully studying how the polygraph charts are scored?

Your input would be appreciated (to any of the above)

Thanks, 
Netnin

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Some Questions
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2001 at 3:01pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Netnin,

In answer to your questions:

1) There are no web sites that give a detailed description of how polygraph charts are scored. The file to which you referred on the AntiPolygraph.org Reading Room page is a collection of DoDPI informational sheets titled "Test Data Analysis" and was released under the Freedom of Information Act. It does provide information on the physiological reactions that DoDPI considers significant for chart scoring purposes, and also provides scoring information for the DoDPI Zone Comparison Test and the Modified General Question Test formats.

Although detailed information on how to score polygraph charts is not available on the Web, the American Polygraph Association quarterly Polygraph has published numerous articles on the topic. Volume 28 (1999), No. 1, was a special edition in which all articles are devoted to chart interpretation. (While some articles are more descriptive than others, none provide a tutorial for beginners.)

Note that there is no single, objective standard for polygraph chart scoring.

2) With regard to the tracings on a polygraph chart, the standard order, from top to bottom, is:
  • pneumo (thoracic breathing)
  • pneumo (abdominal breathing)
  • electrodermal (galvanic skin) response
  • cardio

See the sample portion of an actual polygram (polygraph chart) below:

The above chart was recorded on an analog (non-computerized) Lafayette polygraph instrument. The x-axis on the graph paper represents time, with each vertical chart division line (spaced a half-inch apart) representing 5 seconds.

At the bottom of the chart, you'll see some hand-written notations that are fairly standardized. The sets of two vertical lines that you see at the bottom of the chart (I I), which might be mistaken for the number "11" by someone not familiar with polygraph notation, mark the asking of each question. When the polygrapher begins asking a question, he makes a vertical stroke. As he finishes asking the question, he makes a second vertical stroke. The minus signs (-) that you see indicate that the question was answered "No." If a question were answered "yes," a plus sign (+) would be written instead. The numbers that you see (7,8,9) indicate that these questions were the 7th, 8th, and 9th questions asked in a series. The red circles indicate that the question asked was a relevant question; the green circle indicates a relevant question, and although not seen in the image above, irrelevant questions are marked with a yellow circle. (This color coding, which I believe Cleve Backster originated, may or may not be indicated on a polygraph chart.)

3) While a pain countermeasure such as the tack-in-the-shoe (or tongue-biting, which is a superior countermeasure) should produce a significant response on the electrodermal channel, I'm not certain that there will necessarily be a concomitant and significant cardio response.

4) With regard to polygraphers making determinations regarding the use of countermeasures, Dr. Barland has indicated that various agency rules allow them to make a determination of countermeasures use absent a confession (see reply #16 in the thread "Countermeasure considerations for the innocent"). However, the criteria that DoDPI-trained polygraphers use to make such a determination is classified.

One consequence of this is that DoDPI at least in theory has the option of turning any "passing" chart into a failing one (because of the subject's alleged use of countermeasures), and such determinations cannot be independently reviewed because the criteria used in making them is an official secret.
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2001 at 9:34am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Some Questions

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X