Normal Topic Use of Beta Blockers while taking the Polygraph (Read 34520 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box joemamma
New User

Use of Beta Blockers while taking the Polygraph
Nov 6th, 2001 at 10:43pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I'm just curious on what effect, if any, beta blockers would have on one taking the polygraph. Beta blockers are an adrenal blocker and used as an anti anxiety drug. Any idea whether taking these would aide in passing?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Re: Use of Beta Blockers while taking the Polygrap
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2001 at 11:14pm
The use of alpha (1 and 2) as well as beta (1 and 2) agonists (stimulants) and antagonists (blockers) may produce profound autonomic nervous system (ANS) effects.  The well known beta-1 blockers have well-demonstrated effects (direct and indirect) on myocardial function (and elsewhere), i.e., inotropic (force of contraction), chronotropic (heart rate), as well as on the rate of spread of electrical conduction within myocardial tissue.  As has been pointed out before on this message board, these profound effects are of little practical concern in a polygraph examination, inasmuch as they are tonic effects (not phasic effects) which will affect the cardiovascular physiology monitored over the totality of the polygraph exam, effecting both control and relevant question responses whose intercomparison is the basis for polygraph scoring.  Remember...the goal of one who attempts polygraph countermeasures is to increase control question responses relative to relevant question responses, not reduce (or increase) all responses equally.  You mention Central Nervous System (CNS) effects (antianxiety)....yes, they do exist, but the same story is likely to exist for these effects as well--they would likely be undifferentiated amongst responses to control and relevant questions.

Not only is such pharmacological intervention largely ineffective (there, however, may be some value in some situations in reducting all responses yielding an inconclusive result which can then be coupled with simply saying "no way" (behavioral countermeasure) to any post-test accusations), but these type of approaches are largely moot because of the very effective physical and mental countermeasures available to accomplish the task...
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2001 at 1:27am by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box peter raja

Re: Use of Beta Blockers while taking the Polygraph
Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 10:46pm
What about the cvsa ? Wouldn't it make my voice the same ....and if not I was thinking to drink a shot before to mellow my voice....I have a test soon fyi any help?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Use of Beta Blockers while taking the Polygraph
Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2015 at 12:10pm
There is no evidence that any medication affects CVSA outcomes in any way (let alone in a positive way). Consuming alcohol before a CVSA examination seems to me like a foolish thing to do.

CVSA lacks the methodological weaknesses that make effective polygraph countermeasures possible, but that is not to say that CVSA has any scientific basis whatsoever (it doesn't). Be that as it may, the "behavioral" countermeasures outlined for polygraph examinations in Chapter 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector may be helpful in passing a CVSA "test."

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Use of Beta Blockers while taking the Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X