Normal Topic Registries of Licensed Polygraphers & Complaints (Read 4838 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dbird
New User

Registries of Licensed Polygraphers & Complaints
Sep 25th, 2001 at 12:13am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
???  Do individual states maintain registries of licensed polygraphers and complaint histories?  Any information on this?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Re: Registries of Licensed Polygraphers & Complain
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2001 at 3:24am
Dbird wrote on Sep 25th, 2001 at 12:13am:

???  Do individual states maintain registries of licensed polygraphers and complaint histories?  Any information on this?

I'm not certain about how each state regulates polygraph examiners. Your examiner should belong to one or more polygraph associations (indeed, they seem to thrive on being members of as many polygraph associations and organizations as they can afford to join, thus allowing them further bloviating and crowding of their office walls with more useless parchment.)

If you tell us which state you're interested in, I'm sure someone can research it for you. Feel free to send me a private message if you don't want the state publicly known.

BT

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2001 at 3:53am
Thanks.  The state is Washington.  Mr. Carter seems like a nice guy.  Says he has done this since 1968.  Other names I have been given include Bud Killean and Terry Hall.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2001 at 3:47pm
Dbird wrote on Sep 26th, 2001 at 3:53am:

Thanks.  The state is Washington.  Mr. Carter seems like a nice guy.  Says he has done this since 1968.  Other names I have been given include Bud Killean and Terry Hall.

A brief perusal of the Revised Code of Washington 

http://www.leg.wa.gov/wsladm/rcw.cfm

elicits a few 'hits' on the word polygraph, but there doesn't seem to be anything concerning a controlling state government body nor ethics and standards of practice. It would appear that your state is one that heartily embraces the use of the polygraph both in criminal investigations and in parole/probation.

Also please take a look everyone at 

http://www.apa.org/releases/liedetector.html

Who is Mr. Carter?

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2001 at 5:05am
Thank you.  Mr. Carter is the polygrapher who administered the exam I took here in Washington state.  I am going to email Dr. W.G. Iacono listed at that APA article to see if he has more articles to cite.

Your link is very helpful.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Sep 27th, 2001 at 7:10am
Dbird,

The following is an abstract of a very recent article by Professor Iacono, taken from the NCJRS Abstracts Database:

Quote:

Title:  Forensic "Lie Detection": Procedures Without Scientific Basis 

Journal:  Journal of Forensic Psychology Practice  Volume:1  

Issue:1  Dated:2001  Pages:75 to 86 

Author:  William G. Iacono Ph.D. 

Format:  article 

Publication Date:  2001 

Pages:  12 

Type:  Studies/research reports 

Origin:  United States 

Language:  English 

Note:  For an opposing argument, see NCJ-186442. 

Annotation:  This paper provides a critical overview of the scientific status of the control question test (CQT), the type of polygraph test most likely to be used in forensic settings.  
Abstract:  Because there is no characteristic physiological response necessarily linked with lying, it is not possible to ask a person to answer a relevant question about an alleged misdeed, record nervous-system reactions, and make a determination of truthfulness. Polygraphy has attempted to circumvent this problem by including, in addition to a relevant question, a comparison question that is also used to elicit physiological reactions. If a suspect responds more strongly to the relevant question, guilt is indicated, while similar sized responses to both types of questions signify innocence. This relevant/irrelevant test (RIT) format has been found wanting even by proponents of polygraphy, because the irrelevant items do not provide an adequate control for the emotional impact of simply being presented with the accusatory relevant question. The CQT is an effort to circumvent the problems inherent in the RIT by introducing a so-called "control" question, the response to which is compared to the relevant question. Control questions are intended to elicit a lie or at least concern by posing a vague question that covers possible minor misdeeds from a person's past. The theory of the CQT assumes that it is highly likely that every person has hurt someone or lied to an authority figure, so these questions will provide an example of a subject's physiological reactions when lying. For the CQT to be valid, two assumptions must hold. The first requires innocent individuals to be more responsive to control than relevant questions. The second requires guilty persons to respond more intensely to relevant than control questions. These assumptions can be easily challenged, making CQT biased against innocent individuals and vulnerable to defeat by artificially augmenting responses to control questions. These conclusions are supported by published research findings in the best social science journals....

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lizzy_217
New User

Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2002 at 3:35am
Please Help Me!
I'd first like to address my thanks to all of you that make this sight possible and to your willingness to help those who are afflicted by the polygraph "tests".
I need help finding polygrapher procedure laws for criminals in Colorado. My fiance has been subject to numerous polygraphs in the past 6 years as a part of his rehabilitation. The program that he has been a part of requires 2 passed poly's in order to be released from the program after he has completed other requirements. When the time came for these 2 poly's they informed him that his "inconclusive" pass would not be accepted because of law changes that took place after his admition in the program. I have recieved some info by means of hear-say that the way that the tests are conducted do not follow the procedures as the law states. I am having a very hard time getting info on these laws. We can not afford the advice of legal professionals, so any help that you can provide me will be greatly appreciated and benificial to our goals. Thank you so much...Lizzy 217

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #7 - Sep 7th, 2002 at 4:49am
Lizzy_217 wrote on Sep 7th, 2002 at 3:35am:

Please Help Me!
I'd first like to address my thanks to all of you that make this sight possible and to your willingness to help those who are afflicted by the polygraph "tests".
I need help finding polygrapher procedure laws for criminals in Colorado. My fiance has been subject to numerous polygraphs in the past 6 years as a part of his rehabilitation. The program that he has been a part of requires 2 passed poly's in order to be released from the program after he has completed other requirements. When the time came for these 2 poly's they informed him that his "inconclusive" pass would not be accepted because of law changes that took place after his admition in the program. I have recieved some info by means of hear-say that the way that the tests are conducted do not follow the procedures as the law states. I am having a very hard time getting info on these laws. We can not afford the advice of legal professionals, so any help that you can provide me will be greatly appreciated and benificial to our goals. Thank you so much...Lizzy 217

Where post-conviction tests are concerned, unfortunately your fiance's probation officer has almost limitless power to dictate the rules. I'm presuming your fiance was convicted of a sex offense, and these polygraphs are part and parcel with his state mandated rehabilitation and the special conditions of his probation. Much depends upon the specific crime and course of treatment, it would appear. Please do NOT post his specifics as it might prejudice his probation officer or polygraph interrogator should they peruse these boards.

You might try carefully reading

http://dcj.state.co.us/odvsom/sodoc.htm and also

The Colorado Statutes which is a searchable database of all Colorado statutes. Searching for 'polygraph' elicited eight hits, none of which were very helpful.

The good thing is, 'inconclusive' is NOT 'deception indicated'.

It goes without saying, you need a lawyer.

IP Logged

Registries of Licensed Polygraphers & Complaints

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X