Normal Topic GSR electrode attachment (Read 6440 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 00
New User

GSR electrode attachment
Sep 11th, 2001 at 6:10am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Regarding the attachment of the electrodes / conductors for the GSR:

Does anyone have any experience with examiners checking or cleaning the fingers prior to attachment? 

Have you ever heard of this?

Would they likely discover a chemical agent that supresses sweat gland activity (well beyond anti-perspirant)?

Would that do any good?

(Smiley 

naut x naut west 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Re: GSR electrode attachment
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2001 at 6:20am

00 wrote on Sep 11th, 2001 at 6:10am:

Does anyone have any experience with examiners checking or cleaning the fingers prior to attachment? 

Would they likely discover a chemical agent that supresses sweat gland activity (well beyond anti-perspirant)?

Would that do any good?

Both 'The Lie Behind The Lie Detector' and 'How To Sting The Polygraph' suggest that such attempts do more harm than good, or are at least ineffective.

I too would like a good GSR discussion as it seems to be the one tracing in which the examinee has little or no control.

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box wannabe
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2001 at 6:29am
I would think, and this may be completely wrong, but I feel that if the examinee is comfortable with his or her knowledge of the polygraph and it's shortcomings the GSR would be less reactive? Confidence would have to have some affect I would think.

Anyone agree?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Pseudo Relevant
New User

Pull my finger, not my
leg.

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2001 at 4:39pm

Polygraphers routinely check the examinee's fingertips for anything that may affect "good" contact with the skin. Mostly this would be superglue or other adhesive material that blocks the contact. As far as other "chemicals", I do not know what if anything a polygrapher would look for (as far as the GSR goes).

Poll: Credibility Rating (1 = Lowest, 10 = Highest)&&Rate the following jobs on the scale of 1 to 10 in accordance to your opinion.&&&&Forensic Psychophysiologist&&Sanitation Engineer&&Politician

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2001 at 7:42am

Thank you.  The question is directed at the use of a certain chemical which locally supresses all sweat gland activity.   
Is the finger inspection strictly by inspection, is it by wiping the fingers to clean them, or possibly a swipe test for any chemical agent?

What would an examiner likely do or suspect if there is no GSR response?

(Smiley 

naut x naut west

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2001 at 7:48am
Add:Testing with a biofeedback unit shows virtually no response change from sedate to excited states.

(Smiley 

naut x naut west

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box wannabe
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 14th, 2001 at 8:44am
I would expect that if there were no GSR responces at all the examiner would suspect either that the polygraph equipment was not operating properly, or that the examinee were using some sort of chemical countermeasure. either way you'll lose.
I am not an expert, but common sense would tell me that something was wrong, (besides the fact that polygraph is hokey anyway), if there were no readings at all.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2001 at 4:30pm

Would that do any good?

(Smiley 

naut x naut west 

Polygrapher James Allen Matte writes at p. 383 of Forensic Psychophysiology Using the Polygraph (J.A.M. Publications, 1996):

Quote:
A standard anti-countermeasure employed by this author is to routinely have the examinee wash his or her hands thoroughly with soap and water in the presence of the forensic psychophysiologist before commencement of the testing phase.

Note that effective polygraph countermeasures involve augmenting physiological responses to the so-called "control" questions rather than suppressing responses to relevant questions. See Chapter 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector and the sources cited there for further reading.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

GSR electrode attachment

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X