Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) LAPD Polygraph (Read 57566 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dzalez
New User

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

LAPD Polygraph
May 9th, 2001 at 12:35am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I recently failed my polygraph with LAPD, I was truthfull with all the questions. I was told that if I tell the truth I have nothing to worry about, boy was I wrong. I would like to know if anyone has had a similar experience with the LAPD like I did and have an input on whats the next step after failing the polygraph. I tried calling public safety to get more infomation on my status as a candidate and I cannot get a straight answer from them, my question is pretty simple, I ask them if Im disqualified as a candidate or will I get another chance to retake the polygraph and they cant tell me. Its been over a month and I have not even recieve one piece of mail indicating my situation. This has been one of the worst and frustrating experince I have ever gone through. They have my life on hold, its been a dream of mine to be police officer but Im ready to move on if I can get a straight answer from them. What makes this difficult for me is that I was finished with the entire process and had an academy date pending a succesful polygraph examination. If anyone has had a similar experience or has an input with the 
LAPD process, feel free to write to back and maybe we can discuss our options on how to deal with the RIGHTS stripping machine they call polygraph.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Re: LAPD Polygraph
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2001 at 3:08am

dzalez wrote on May 9th, 2001 at 12:35am:

I would like to know if anyone has had a similar experience with the LAPD like I did and have an input on whats the next step after failing the polygraph.

Dzalez,

A couple of questions. First, most candidates for LAPD are not subjected to polygraphs unless the investigator finds something in your background application that raised a red flag. I may well be wrong but I have many friends who have applied for LAPD and NOT been polygraphed. Are you already an officer doing a lateral transfer?

Secondly, What did the "examiner" say to you post polygraph and did you give him more information after he questioned you regarding your "deception"?
If this is the case you merely gave him ammunition to release you from the process.

You need to download "The Lie Behind the Lie Detector" from this site. The book will enlighten you to what has occurred and if you are subjected to another "exam" you will be educated on what to expect and how to "counter" the "examiner". You also can read David Lykkens book "A Tremor in the Blood".

As for the processing, be patient, It may take up to six months for you to hear something. Your best bet would be to call your background investigator IMMEDIATELY and question them for further info.

Good Luck

Fred F.
Smiley

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #2 - May 9th, 2001 at 8:02am
Fred F.,

LAPD began routine polygraph screening of applicants in February 2001. In the first round of polygraph interrogations, a whopping 43% "failed." See Bobbi Murray's recent article, "Just the Truth: LAPD recruits are having trouble with new lie-detector tests" in LA Weekly:

http://www.laweekly.com:80/ink/01/16/news-murray.shtml 

dzalez,

As the above article makes clear, you are not alone in your experience with the LAPD polygraph. I recommend that you act quickly to protect your rights. You should promptly contest your polygrapher's opinion in writing, and send it by certified, return-receipt mail.

You should also seek copies of your entire applicant file, including all information related to your polygraph interrogation. California has its own version of the Freedom of Information Act that you should be able to use to request this information.

See Chapter 5 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector for more ideas on grievance procedures.

I think it is a very good idea for victims of the LAPD pre-employment polygraph program to get in touch with each other, and I encourage you to avail yourself of the AntiPolygraph.org message board to accomplish this.

A number of us who are from California are also coordinating efforts to abolish polygraphy from the workplace in our state. (I'm a Californian, too.) See the California Polygraph Reform Initiative forum for more:

http://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?board=cali 

We'd welcome your participation in this effort. E-mail me at maschke@antipolygraph.org for more details.

One more important thing you could do is to write a public statement regarding your experience with the new LAPD pre-employment polygraph program. See the statements written by others regarding various agencies on the AntiPolygraph.org statements page:

http://antipolygraph.org/statements.shtml 
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2001 at 5:15pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Very Senior User

is Power

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2001 at 2:38am
George,

I wonder what "laboratory studies" Mr. Gelb is speaking of. 

He obviously can't answer that since there has been no scientific validity of polygraph testing

GOTCHA Mr. Gelb

Fred F.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box let (Guest)

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2001 at 10:03am
to dzalez
hi, i would like to know if you heard anything yet from lapd, im in the same situation. i did not pass my poly and i need to know what is the next step. my academy date is for june 4th.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Chief Gates

Reply #5 - May 20th, 2001 at 6:12pm
I think your next step should be to unpack your suitcase.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - May 22nd, 2001 at 7:02pm

I recieve my letter last week and it stated that my background investigation is an ongoing process and the polygraph examination is part of that process. LAPD told me that I can reapply in a year meaning I have to start all over again cause my application would have expired by then. Im pretty sure that if you failed your poly you are in the same situation.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box d

Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2001 at 7:21pm
let reply was from dzalez

IP Logged

Very Senior User

is Power

Reply #8 - May 23rd, 2001 at 3:30am
dzalez,

When you received your letter were you informed that you aren't considered a candidate anymore? 

Unless the letter specifically states that you are no longer being considered, ie "Your application and qualifications have been evaluated and you have not been selected..." You are still being investigated. What did your letter say?.  If the letter states you can reapply in one year, yes, you have been removed. 

Fred F.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dzalez
New User

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Reply #9 - May 23rd, 2001 at 6:33pm
Basically it was a verbal notice at first, stating that the LAPD is withdrewing thier offer. Then a month later I recieve a letter informing me that im no longer being considered a candidate due to my showing deception in my polygraph testing, but I was welcome to reapply in one year to the date of my polygraph testing, meaning meaning I have to go through the entire process all over again because all of my certifications are only goood for one year.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

is Power

Reply #10 - May 24th, 2001 at 4:05am
dzalez,

Don't let the bad poly experience stop you. You should notice that both Nate and Melvin have overcome the fallacy of the polygraph to pursue law enforcement careers

Try the LA County Sheriff, and the local city PD'S that are hiring. The California Youth Authority and Dept.of Corrections are other choices( the CYA and CDC do NOT poly) Keep applying, if you don't have any college education, start working on that. 

Remember that if you keep applying regardless of the "deception" label, you are bound to be successful if you are honest.

And most importantly, read the "Lie Behind The Lie Detector" and be prepared for the next "exam". 

Fred F. Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Nate
User

Reply #11 - May 24th, 2001 at 8:35pm
Dido on Fred's advice! Wink

“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods" &&&&-Albert Einstein &&
IP Logged

Reply #12 - May 28th, 2001 at 8:24am
to dzalez

since you got your letter that you are no longer being concidered, are you apealing this? if you are, what department are you going through?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #13 - May 31st, 2001 at 4:59am
Those of you who have been victimized by the LAPD polygraph should consider getting into contact with each other to discuss bringing a lawsuit against the LAPD to clear your good names (and possibly seek damages).  Feel free to use the messaging feature on this board to do this.  Considering the astronomical failure rates that have been reported, you should be able to find enough co-plaintiffs to spread out your legal costs considerably.  Once a few of you get together, you can begin attempting to find an attorney knowledgeable in employment law with an interest in handling this matter.  

Furthermore, if there are any attorneys in the LA area reading this with an interest in the possibility of litigating such an action, please contact us at info@antipolygraph.org and we will attempt to place you in touch with some potential plaintiffs.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box AMM (Guest)

Reply #14 - Jun 14th, 2001 at 10:43pm
To all LAPD candidates:

The same thing happened to me.  I began the process over a year ago while still in the military.  Everything was set and my background investigation was completed.  LAPD backgrounds called, told me the poly was instituted in February, and set up my appointment for April.  I wasn't concerned in the least since I had nothing to hide and I truthfully answered every question.

As you might guess the examiner (a real jerk) came back in and said I didn't pass.  I was flabbergasted!  He fished around for a while and I told him that one of the questions elicited a memory over 10 years old that wasn't even relevant to the actual question asked.   I won't describe the incident (since I'm appealing disqualification, and am still worried about anonymity) but it was spun way out of proportion by the examiner.  In fact, the incident contains nothing detrimental to me, but to one of my family members.  This incident wasn't provided during my initial background interview because I honestly forgot about it! Hell, it was over 10 years ago! If you remember your interview, you're asked nearly 200 questions.  It's literally impossible to remember everything that's happend in your life.

I started writing letters like mad explaining my situation.  I wrote Chief Parks, the Civil Service Commission, the General Manager of Personnel, the head of Public Safety, every council member on the Public Safety Committe, and all my elected representatives.  (I also sent letters to Senators Hatch, Leahy and Grassley who sit on the Judiciary Committee.) I've received very little response.  A letter back from Parks only said that all procedures were followed.  I recommend you put a coherent letter together and start sending them out.  Make sure they're personalized though.  No one likes a form letter.

Like you, I couldn't get a straight answer from anyone. Eventually I was told that I wasn't going to be DQ'd based on my poly, but rather for non-disclosure of the incident I alluded to.  Thankfully, this can be appealed, but it doesn't answer how my polygraph "failure" became "passing."  I think my phone calls and letters may have helped.

Anyway, according to the head of Public Safety, the current polygraph failure rate for LAPD candidates is 68% and the June Academy class started with only 19 people.  Hopefully, they'll start to realize the poly is a crap shoot.  My background investigator confided in me that one of his other candidates is an out and out criminal but passed his poly! Even they are questioning the utility of the poly.  Listen, got to go now.  Good luck. I'll post more later once I register.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
LAPD Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X