Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Too Hot of a Potato (Read 63789 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Too Hot of a Potato
Feb 2nd, 2004 at 8:14am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
In July 1999, I wrote a public statement about my experience with the polygraph. At the time, I wrote under the pseudonym "Captain Jones." Much has happened since then, and I have now revised and expanded my original statement. See, "Too Hot of a Potato: A Citizen Soldier's Encounter With the Polygraph."

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kona
Very Senior User

Re: Too Hot of a Potato
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2004 at 11:39am
George,

I'm truly sorry to hear how your FBI polygraph experience has adversely affected your life, and your employment opportunities.  It is sad that a person of your work experience, education, and service to our country had to pay a personal and professional price because of our government's blind faith in a machine that measures physiological responses to questions. 

I find it especially disturbing that the Army would turn it's back on you after all your years of service because the issue is too much of a "hot potato."  This is truly pathetic, and has lowered my opinion of Army leadership in the MI community. 

Good luck to you George, and don't give up the ship!

Kona
PS  Isn't Trimarco that knucklehead on Court TV's new series on lie detection?  I guess it didn't take him long to cash in after his retirement.   

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box guest

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2004 at 6:48pm
George:  Sounds like you let your aligator mouth overload your piss ant ass.  What did you think was going to happen?  You act like a whining little spoiled brat and then act surprised when people treat you accordingly.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2004 at 7:24pm
Guest,

There is very little that is certain in this world and there exists perhaps proportionately an even greater degree of uncertainty associated with message board posts.  One of the few things we seem to be able to count on here are the mindless retorts coming from the polygraph community as well represented by your last post and almost (if not completely) a uniformly mindless and uncaring analysis when it comes to stories of polygraph victimization.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2004 at 11:50pm
Anonymous that was very good, you packed your post almost as full of useless words as George does.  That means you and he are tied for the Overly Verbose Cry-Baby of the Year award.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Will

Reply #5 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 1:02am
Guest, I too think you are an uncaring degenerate.  You are an absolute disgrace to the human race.  What kind of pathetic simpleton would make ridicule about a situation like George's.  If you are a polygrapher, you are a disgrace to the polygraph community.  If you are a representation of your peers, you should all be beaten with pipes as far as I'm concerned.  I normally would not resort to this kind of comment, but it sickens me when someone like yourself cannot, or will not even try to consider the possibility that just maybe polygraph exams are not as reliable as you think.   What is so hard to understand about the fact that these outdated rituals are completely absurd?  I'm sure they do work sometimes, but to hold them in such high regard is totally idiotic.   In closing I would like to reiterate what a sad piece of ----you are.  I'm willing to bet any amount that your service to your community and country, not to mention your life achievements would pale in comparison to George's.-

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 1:05am
Guest,

I have to ask - do you think of all of those one-liners yourself?  If so, you might be in the running for the Most Ridiculously Impotent Poster of the Year award.

Why don't you try posting something WORTHWHILE?  Are you that in need of a supplement to your mediocre existence?

Anonymous
(another Anonymous, mind you.  You seem to miss the fact that there are about 20 posters here all using the pseudoname 'Anonymous.'  It doesn't make much sense to refer back to 'Anonymous' in a completely different thread as if anyone actually knows which Anonymous you are talking about (example:  http://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?board=share;action=display;num=1....  Exactly which one of us are you referring to?  Twoblock didn't seem to know either...)

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 3:50am
Yes, anonymous you are right.  I really do want to do something more WORTHWHILE.  I wish you were here in front of me right now so I could bitch slap your little cry baby ass.  Now that would be WORTHWHILE.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 5:29am
Once again, I pose my question to George and hope all 20 Anonymous posters don't jump in again.  What did you think would happen?  You made yourself a "Hot Potato" all by yourself.  And you tried and still try to get all the publicity you possibly can, (and I don't buy all that altruistic BS you try to cover yourself with). Do you really think you are so special that the military would go out on a limb and hire you in spite of all the crap you stirred up?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box The Shadow
User

Who knows what evil lurks
in the hearts of men?
 The Shadow knows

Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 6:28am
George,
Do you now publicly admit that you are/where, have always been Capt Jones because the Army has awarded you your Honorable Discharge?  Based on what I read, what else could they have done to screw you over?

Congrats on the HD.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 8:15am
Guest, let me ask you something.  You post here somewhat frequently yet all of your posts are nothing more than harsh insults.

What exactly is your motivation for reading the posts here and replying in the manner that you do?  Are you a polygrapher (not that I really expect you to answer that honestly)?  More importantly, answer this - do you really believe that everyone here who claims (s)he did not lie on his/her polygraph actually lied?  If not, what is wrong with people expressing concern over the fact that they have been unfairly removed from an application process?  Is there something wrong with the fact that some people choose to further themselves in a successful public service position?   

Enough with the insults.  Obviously I'm not standing anywhere nearby for you to "bitch slap" me, so why not answer and at least let everyone know WHY you post in the manner that you do?  I didn't say anything negative or insulting here - return the courtesy.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #11 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 9:26am
Quote:
George,
Do you now publicly admit that you are/where, have always been Capt Jones because the Army has awarded you your Honorable Discharge?  Based on what I read, what else could they have done to screw you over?

Congrats on the HD.

Thank you for your congratulations. I was not concerned that my public identification as the author of the Captain Jones statement could somehow result in a less-than-honorable discharge, if that's what you're suggesting.

Rather, it seemed to me that, as the end of my military service drew near, it was an appropriate time to update my earlier statement, which was by then more than four years old. Over the past several years, I've spoken about my polygraph experience in a variety of public settings, for example, in written testimony submitted for the record in a U.S. Senate hearing, at a public meeting of the National Academy of Sciences' Committee to Review the Scientific Evidence on the Polygraph, and on CBS 60 Minutes II. It seemed appropriate to discard the pseudonym under which I had first written.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #12 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 11:08am
Quote:
Once again, I pose my question to George and hope all 20 Anonymous posters don't jump in again.  What did you think would happen?  You made yourself a "Hot Potato" all by yourself.  And you tried and still try to get all the publicity you possibly can, (and I don't buy all that altruistic BS you try to cover yourself with). Do you really think you are so special that the military would go out on a limb and hire you in spite of all the crap you stirred up?

I was most certainly cognizant of the fact that blowing the whistle on a fraudulent practice in which the U.S. Government is heavily invested might have adverse career consequences. But as a cadet, I had subscribed to an honor code not to lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do. I felt that I could not in good conscience remain silent on this issue. What you call "stirring up crap," I would call telling the truth about polygraphy.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Feb 4th, 2004 at 1:13am
So George, you would have us believe that your “code” is what drove you to build a website and write a book containing a compilation of material, (most of which was already available and had been for twenty years or more).  And you state, “I like to think that by working to expose polygraph "testing" for the pseudoscientific quackery that it is, I am perhaps making as significant a contribution to my country as I might have made had I been allowed to continue in government service.”  The fact is you would have been allowed to continue had you not made such a public spectacle of yourself.

I fail to see any “significant contribution”, or for that matter any contribution at all.   What I do see is the raving of a petulant ego maniac seeking revenge against a perceived wrong, and trying to convince everyone, (including himself), that he is doing this as a service to mankind.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #14 - Feb 4th, 2004 at 1:42am
George,

In reviewing your statement, I found the comment the examiner made about your high moral calibre prior to the polygraph consistent with Matte's description of how examinees are sensitized to the control questions. I guess the theory is that an innocent examinee is likely to be more reactive to the probably lies and put at ease on the relevants (and vice versa for the guilty ones). Assuming the theory true, making that statement based on a check that couldn't have been done at that time is more likely to make one suspicious of the process. The exact opposite of what was intended.

If that happened as you described it was sloppy polygraph work.

Mentioning "control questions" is likely to have perked their ears as well.

A blunt instrument to measure something as critical to ones self identity as integrity.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Too Hot of a Potato

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X