Normal Topic My company violated the EPPA. I think? (Read 4908 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dan Perez

My company violated the EPPA. I think?
Jul 18th, 2004 at 10:06pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi. I have a question that I hope someone can answer for me.  Here is my situation.  I was employed by a company as a regional sales director, making 80-100k a year.  I was in charge of three stores.  One of my stores had a huge loss in inventory one day, due to theft.  As the regional manager, I was a suspect.  My company invloved the police, and they started their questioning.  I went and answered some questions for the police, where I felt cornered and as if they had it out to bring me down, being a young man who made a good amount of money.  After the questioning,  I was still a suspect, and my boss at that point had told me that his boss wanted me to take the police lie detector test so that i could clear myself of this matter.  Well, I went to the test, but due to my nervousness about the whole situation, the possiblity of losing my job, etc, I failed the test.  The next day I no longer worked for the company.  I found the EPPA about 8 months later and I think I have grounds to sue for lost wages.  My company nor the police ever issued me any paperwork on the questions to be asked, nor did they discuss anything with me after the test, other than that I could no longer work there.  Also the disclosure of information was violated, as they proceeded to tell everyone in the company that I lost my job because I failed a lie detector test.  Now, the police issued the test, not my company. Can I still sue?? Please help me out here. Thanks.
Dan Perez

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Re: My company violated the EPPA. I think?
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 5:58am
You need to address this with a Lawyer that works in your area.   While you may indeed have a case, it depends on whether or not you signed consent forms giving them the authorization to administer the exam to you and free them from liability.   

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 6:44am
I never signed any consent forms.  Also, I was never given a copy of the questions to be asked, or notified if there was a two way mirror, camera, or if I was being recorded.  Anyone else think I have a case here? I am going to call around tomorrow to try and find a lawyer to take the case, but I have no money, as I now am an assistant manager at RadioShack.  What about lawyer fees? Thanks for any feedback.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 6:46am
Sorry, another post.  I did sign a form at the police station, but to my knowledge, it was just my miranda rights. My company never had me sign a form.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 7:51am
While I am not a lawyer, it seems that your former employer has plainly and egregiously violated the Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA). The company might wish to settle out of court rather than go to trial. Recently, a company in Atlantic City, NJ was ordered to pay $4 million to three employees whom it unlawfully terminated for refusing to submit to polygraph interrogations:

http://www.antipolygraph.org/news.shtml#shiffman-04-07-04

I agree with Dimas that you should consult a lawyer in your area, preferably one with experience in labor law. Martindale's free on-line Lawyer Locator service may be of help in this regard.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jul 20th, 2004 at 6:55am
Thank you for your response.  I will keep everyone posted on my progress.  What a great site.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box yankeedog
Senior User

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2004 at 2:50pm
If it is as you say, and based upon my experience, it probably is, it sure appears like an EPPA violation.  Check with the US Department of Labor in your area and explain the situation to them.  The Dept of Labor is the agency tasked with enforcing EPPA.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2004 at 8:41pm
Well, I spoke with the Dept. of Labor today.  They gave me all of three minutes of their time.  Apparently they believe that since the local law enforcement did the polygraph, this exempts my employer from all wrongdoings.  I am still pursuing a lawyer to listen to my case.  I still believe I have a case here.  Will keep you posted.
Dan Perez

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Cop

Reply #8 - Jul 20th, 2004 at 10:44pm
Quote:
Well, I spoke with the Dept. of Labor today.  They gave me all of three minutes of their time.  Apparently they believe that since the local law enforcement did the polygraph, this exempts my employer from all wrongdoings.  I am still pursuing a lawyer to listen to my case.  I still believe I have a case here.  Will keep you posted.
Dan Perez

A word of caution.  If you pursue this, they may be able to prove your guilt.  The rules for discovery are much more liberal in civil cases.  And you sounded like you weren't totally honest to me, for example when you said,  " I went and answered some questions for the police, where I felt cornered and as if they had it out to bring me down, being a young man who made a good amount of money.... Well, I went to the test, but due to my nervousness about the whole situation, the possiblity of losing my job, etc, I failed the test."   That just sounds bogus....

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jul 21st, 2004 at 12:37am
Funny to get a post like that from this site.  The polygraph test used was a voice stress analysis, which test the stress levels in your voice.  As my boss had told me, pass the test or lose your job, i was a LITTLE bit stressed about the situation.  My inocence is not something I have to prove.  The police basically came down hard on me because they had nothing else to go on.  ANYWAYS. If you have any positive feedback on the issue at hand, thanks.  But I will pursue this as far as I can because I feel I was violated, and I have nothing to hide as far as guilt is concerned.  Thank you.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jul 21st, 2004 at 12:42am
Also, 25% of my bonus every month, which was my main source of income, was from inventory control.  This unfortunate situation left me with a big fat 0 in that category.  I lost about 2000 dollars that month.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #11 - Jul 21st, 2004 at 7:42am
Quote:
Dan Perez

Dan,

I don't know how the Labor Department employee(s) you spoke with came to that conclusion. Although the EPPA specifically exempts government employees from its protections, when it comes to regulating the private sector, it apparently does not to make any distinction between lie detector "tests" administered by law enforcement versus someone hired by the company. Your employer coerced you into taking the "test" and fired you based on the result. As you've described it, it seems like a pretty clear-cut case.

Also, note that a voice stress analyzer is not the same as a polygraph, although both are "lie detectors" within the meaning of the EPPA.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

My company violated the EPPA. I think?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X