Normal Topic Baker Digital Voice Stress Analyzer (DVSA) (Read 27843 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Baker Digital Voice Stress Analyzer (DVSA)
May 18th, 2005 at 3:19pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
A company called the Baker Group in Cape Canaveral, Florida, is marketing "Digital Voice Stress Analyzer" (DVSA) software that, it claims, "is far superior to outdated 'lie detection' systems such as CVSA, LANTERN, TRUSTER, and POLYGRAPH":

http://www.bakerdvsa.com/

Baker Group managing director Dr. E. Gary Baker, Ph.D. "holds earned degrees of Master of Arts in Religious Counseling and Doctor of Philosophy in Theocentric Business and Ethics from American College of Metaphysical Theology, a distance learning, religious non-profit organization and a non-secular school":

http://www.bakerdvsa.com/management.htm

It is surprising that Mr. Baker is not embarrased to boast of such an educational background. The American College of Metaphysical Theology is an unaccredited diploma mill that offers B.A., M.A., and "Ph.D." degrees for $149, $209, and $249, respectively.

Such shady credentials have apparently not stopped Mr. Baker from achieving some success in marketing his DVSA software and training to law enforcement agencies, according to an article in today's (18 May 2005) Bellevue, Illinois Press Democrat:

Quote:
ILLINOIS STYLE: Some police now prefer newer lie-detection system

ALLISON L. SMITH
Associated Press

ALGONQUIN, Ill. - Local police are standing by an alternative tool for lie detection that they say seems to be reliable.

"I'm not saying it's infallible," Algonquin police Detective Sgt. Doug Lamz said. "But anecdotally, I haven't seen it be wrong yet."

Proponents say that voice-stress analysis is simpler, more portable, and less expensive than a polygraph machine. It uses a laptop computer and a microphone to monitor voice "micro-tremors" during suspect interviews, taking into account nervousness, stimulants and other factors.

But neither polygraph or voice-stress tests are admissible in Illinois courts, largely because of questions of scientific reliability.

In January, Lake in the Hills police became the first department in Illinois to use the voice-stress analysis software and testing method from The Baker Group.

The Florida company is one of two manufacturers to supply and train Illinois law-enforcement agencies.

Lake in the Hills police Sgt. David Brey said that although the tool was valuable, especially in helping rule out suspects, test results were never the sole factor in any investigation.

"It aids in the direction of an investigation," he said. "It's just another tool to help gauge whether someone is being honest with us. But it does not figure into pressing charges."

The technology can be used quickly and doesn't require a department to retain a polygrapher.

"It could take a month to get a polygrapher," he said. "But with VSA, I can do it right here, right now."

Voice stress analysis technology still is in the proving stage for Illinois police officers and sheriff's deputies. The state General Assembly approved it for use about a year ago, making Illinois one of the last states to adopt the 30-year-old technology.

In the past few months, at least 27 law-enforcement agencies in Illinois have been trained to use voice stress analysis, 13 of those through The Baker Group.

In McHenry and northern Kane counties, participating agencies include Algonquin, Crystal Lake, Johnsburg, Lake in the Hills, McHenry, Spring Grove, and the McHenry County sheriff's department.

The Baker Group donated the software to those agencies, which each spent about $1,200 an officer for 40 hours of classroom training and 10 hours of home study, company founder Dr. Gary Baker said. Under state law, the officers must retrain annually.

Proponents of polygraphs and voice-stress analysis cite scores of studies to support the validity, and sometimes superiority, of their method.

Dan Sosnowski is a polygraph examiner on the board of directors of the American Polygraph Association, which has worked to discredit voice-stress analysis. He said a polygraph was more reliable because it measured several physiological functions to determine truthfulness, but the competing tool measures only voice.

And, he said, polygraph examiners go through 10 times the training that voice stress analyzers do.

"Police who use (voice-stress analysis) want to take the cheap and fast route," he said.

But Lamz said that just because the voice-stress analyzers are relatively inexpensive and easy to operate does not mean they are inferior to the polygraph.

"I don't think one piece of equipment is better than the other," he said. "It comes down to the operator. You can't beat the machine. You can beat the operator. It boils down to training and experience."

The Baker Group may also have found a customer in the U.S. Government or its security contractors. The Baker Group's training schedule for 2005 indicates that three classes were to have been taught in Baghdad, Iraq during the first half of the year:

http://www.bakerdvsa.com/training.htm

Scary stuff.
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2006 at 10:23am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Re: Baker Digital Voice Stress Analyzer (DVSA)
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 10:38am
Apparently "Dr." E. Gary Baker is indeed embarrassed by the provenance of his "Ph.D." degree, as he has removed any reference to the mail-order diploma mill where he got it from his website:

But apparently it is no violation of "Dr." Baker's "theocentric business ethics" to continue falsely passing himself off to the public as the holder of a degree of higher learning.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1904
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2007 at 4:48pm
Quote:
Apparently "Dr." E. Gary Baker is indeed embarrassed by the provenance of his "Ph.D." degree, as he has removed any reference to the mail-order diploma mill where he got it from his website:

But apparently it is no violation of "Dr." Baker's "theocentric business ethics" to continue falsely passing himself off to the public as the holder of a degree of higher learning.

Gary Baker is a failed p/g examiner and now successfully peddling bigger BS than the p/g to the
foolish. His mail order degree issued by an online "theological university" certainly didnt get him
any closer to heaven. 

The Gary Baker, Charles Humble, and Bill Ames circus is coming your way soon.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Nicole

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 7:41pm
What

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Nicole

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 7:43pm
I don't know if this is a questionaire thing or what? But if I were to have  a digital voice stress done will I fail if I have high anxiety, panic attacks, PTSD, & am bipolar?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 8:27pm
Quote:
I don't know if this is a questionaire thing or what? But if I were to have  a digital voice stress done will I fail if I have high anxiety, panic attacks, PTSD, & am bipolar?

Nicole,

Voice stress tests are utter junk science. They don't reliably detect lying in people who have no nervous conditions, let alone those who do. If you are being asked to submit to a voice stress test in connection with a criminal investigation, your best option would be to refuse to submit to this bogus test, get a lawyer, and not speak with investigators without your lawyer present.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box informed

Reply #6 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 6:43am
I would be more interested in his past experience, rather than his 'degree.'  Which I believe is your POINT. Honestly, people place way to much weight in a degree. From my personal experince I have a lot of education, and degree's and certification's in a lot of fields. 

But I will say that a person in business for himself at a CEO level will learn a lot more than individual's who only go to college and pretend to learn.  An average course an individual remember perhap's 10 minutes of the class.

If this individual truely has 30+ year's of training, perhaps he could earn his doctorate from a reputible university or college based on his experience/training.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #7 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 7:49am
Quote:
I would be more interested in his past experience, rather than his 'degree.'  Which I believe is your POINT. Honestly, people place way to much weight in a degree. From my personal experince I have a lot of education, and degree's and certification's in a lot of fields.

Yet somehow, while obtaining your "degree's" and "certification's," you apparently didn't learn that apostrophe-s ('s) is not used to form the plural.

Quote:
But I will say that a person in business for himself at a CEO level will learn a lot more than individual's who only go to college and pretend to learn.  An average course an individual remember perhap's 10 minutes of the class.

"Perhap's" in your case...

Quote:
If this individual truely has 30+ year's of training, perhaps he could earn his doctorate from a reputible university or college based on his experience/training.

The bottom line is that E. Gary Baker is a charlatan marketing a quack device who claims unearned academic achievements in an attempt to bolster his credibility.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Meangino
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 5:37am
Quote:
I would be more interested in his past experience, rather than his 'degree.'  Which I believe is your POINT. Honestly, people place way to much weight in a degree. From my personal experince I have a lot of education, and degree's and certification's in a lot of fields. 

But I will say that a person in business for himself at a CEO level will learn a lot more than individual's who only go to college and pretend to learn.  An average course an individual remember perhap's 10 minutes of the class.

Informed, people are fired all the time for lying about academic credentials.   Former Notre Dame footbal coach (for 5 days) George O'leary comes to mind.  See the cases documented at the following link of more such liars:

http://www.cheatingculture.com/resumepadding.htm

Let's assume Mr. Baker were a witness in a trial. Since he is a proven liar, imagine how a good defense attorney, such as the late Johnny Cochran, would impeach his testimony!  Hello Mark Fuhrman.  Sad

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Thai

Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 12:11pm
Isn't a DVSA a Diogenes ???

IP Logged

Baker Digital Voice Stress Analyzer (DVSA)

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X