Normal Topic FBI Analyst Interview comin' up (Read 10495 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Inspector Clouseau

FBI Analyst Interview comin' up
Jul 16th, 2004 at 3:16am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi - Currently working one of the national agencies that required the full-scope poly.  Have an interview soon with the FBI for a field analyst position.  As I have been in the game for a long time and actually passed the national intel agency poly (the hard one) and got a clearance, I am not really dreading the test.  I would like to know, if anyone can tell me.

A - Would my current NSA/CIA clearance carry over?

B - Is the background investigation single scope, CI-scope, or full scope?

C - Since I really want this job (dying to get back into law enforcement work!), I don't want to come across like a total loser in the interview.  Any pointers?   What might they ask?

Thanks to all, especially George, who answers questions faster than no man

To protect your privacy, your e-mail address has been changed to "anonymous@antipolygraph.org." If you object to this change, please contact info@antipolygraph.org and it will be restored. --AntiPolygraph.org Administrator
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2004 at 6:43am by Administrator »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Steven Stromberg

Re: FBI Analyst Interview comin' up
Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2004 at 6:15am
Inspector:

You clearance does not carry over.  The FBI will conduct a full background and full scope polygraph examination including the DRUG/THEFT and SERIOUS CRIME questions!!! It does not matter if you have been a loyal employee for 20 years.   As George points out in his book, the government uses polygraphs to intimidate, threaten and manipulate people.  To think that you could pass a polygraph is just plain wrong.  Just forget it and stay where you are.  Also, if they ask you to take another polygraph at your current agency, we suggest that you refuse to submit to such psychological torture, quit your job, and join in the fight to stop polygraph, CVSA, urinalysis, psychological testing, interviews and other methods of keeping us from the government jobs.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2004 at 8:49am
As Mr. Stromberg correctly noted, your current security clearance will not carry over to the FBI, which conducts full scope background investigations.

The fact that you (presumably) have a TS/SCI clearance and have previously passed a polygraph examination may well help in the FBI application process. However, you should be aware that the Bureau has a polygraph failure rate on the order of 50% (among the highest in the federal government), and your current trusted status is no guarantee against a false positive outcome. You would do well to peruse The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, the DoDPI Pre-Employment Polygraph Test document, and the DoDPI Interview & Interrogation handbook. You might also wish to carefully consider whether for you, the risk of a false positive is one worth taking. (See my article, "Just Say 'No' to FBI Polygraphs.")

As for pointers on the interview, the "behavioral countermeasures" outlined in Chapter 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector may help to avoid using the wrong body language.

On a final note, I don't necessarily agree with Mr. Stromberg that public employees should quit their jobs rather than submit to polygraph screening examinations (which I would not necessarily characterize as psychological torture, either, though in some cases, such as that of Navy cryptanalyst Daniel M. King, they have been). Moreover, while there may be other aspects of government hiring practices that are in need of reform, AntiPolygraph.org is primarily concerned with polygraphy and other purported forms of lie detection.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Inspector Clouseau

Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2004 at 3:46pm
Hi George - Thanks for the response.  When I said "interview" I meant the job interview.  I didn't think of the poly I took as an "interview" - they just sat me down in the chair, gave me a stern warning about trying to game the polygraph, lie, etc. and then we got down to it.  It wasn't so bad.  I am more worried about choking during the personal interview.

Regads

Clouseau

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 6:05am
I have served on oral boards for the agencies in which I have been employed and can honestly tell you that your best bet is to go out and buy some interview books that give you a variety of questions with answers that are better thought out and much more understandable.   

Practice in front of the mirror and go over questions in your head.  Amazingly many of the questions aren't really law enforcement related, but aimed more at determining your work ethic, practices, previous experiences and abilities to do the job. 

Go out, and spend some money on the books, read them, practice, practice and above all else tailor the answers to fit YOU!  Don't embelish and never allow yourself to be caught in a lie ( best way to do this is not to lie at all, you are trying out for LE and integrity is valued above all else) and never argue with your interviewers, this is a sure way to get scored real low.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

FBI Analyst Interview comin' up

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X