Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) LAPD Polygraph Cover-up? (Read 72572 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Administrator
Administrator

LAPD Polygraph Cover-up?
Apr 15th, 2004 at 1:03am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
AntiPolygraph.org has recevied the following note through an anonymous remailer:

My sibling works at LAPD Polygraph. We always talk about our jobs and the difficulties we face. There has been several (Three?) ongoing complaints against the LAPD Polygraph Supervisor that were just closed out. 

Polygraphers discovered last year that the supervisor changed their report of findings without their consultation or consent.  There are literally dozens of reports like this. 

If a polygrapher found a person to be No Deception, the supervisor changed it to Deception Indicated or vice versa, or to No Opinion, all without their knowledge.  In one instance, the supervisor forged a polygraphers signature on a report of findings.  This happened with new recruits and internal officers who take polygraphs for specialized jobs such as narcotics or anti-terrorist positions.  The investigators of the allegations noted that many of the changed reports were for females.  The commanders held a meeting this past Monday with the Polygraph Staff and said that the Supervisor was fully exonerated for all the accusations.  In other words, nothing wrong ever happened in the eyes of LAPD management.  My sibling told me that the entire polygraph staff is upset because the facts are there in black and white, on paper.  LAPD management is using a technicality to cover this whole thing up.  Because there is no polygraph unit manual in place, forging of someone else's signature and changing reports was allowed.  Also, during the investigation, the supervisor was not removed from the polygraph unit.  He was allowed to stay in the unit and continue conducting polygraph tests.  Had this been an officer or any other person working in the LAPD, they would have been removed from office immediately and not been allowed to work.  Even the LAPD police officer manual does not spell out that officers shall not change reports of other officers or forge other officer's names.  It's a given.  This is disgusting and just as bad as Rampart.  The polygraph stopped many good candidates from becoming officers.  I think the this supervisor and the managers who are covering up for him are shameful.  While I believe that the polygraph can be a good tool for the police, dishonest people doing polygraphs is outrageous.  I encourage you to spread the word about this massive coverup.  I am sure it has affected many lives.  I feel so sorry for my sibling who has to put up with this supervisor and his managers.

AntiPolygraph.org Administrator
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: LAPD Polygraph Cover-up?
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2004 at 1:48am
The allegations contained in the e-mail cited above are very serious if true.

I called the LAPD's Media Relations Office at (213) 485-3586 and spoke with a Mr. Villarreal, who was not familiar with the allegations. Upon his suggestion, I e-mailed background information and questions to him at wwwpress@lapd.lacity.org:

Quote:
Dear Mr. Villarreal,

Pursuant to our phone conversation, I'm e-mailing you background regarding my inquiry.

I'm a co-founder of AntiPolygraph.org, a non-profit, public interest website concerned with polygraph issues. Today, we received a report that the head of the LAPD's polygraph unit changed the results of personnel polygraph examinations without consulting with, informing, or seeking the permission of, those who performed the polygraph examinations. The text of the report we received is posted on-line here:

http://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?board=Policy;action=display;num=...

My questions to you are:

1) Who is the head of the LAPD Polygraph Unit?

2) Did the head of the LAPD Polygraph Unit forge signatures and change polygraph reports?

3) Who made the determination to fully exonerate the head of the Polygraph Unit?

4) How can LAPD applicants whose applications were rejected (and officers whose assignments to specialized units were rejected) based on their having allegedly failed their polygraph examinations discover whether their exams are among those allegedly falsified by the head of the Polygraph Unit?

Any other clarifications you could provide regarding these allegations would also be welcome.

Sincerely,

George W. Maschke
AntiPolygraph.org

PS: A copy of this e-mail will be posted in the message thread linked above.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Administrator

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2004 at 10:56am
In September 2003, AntiPolygraph.org received an anonymous tip from a caller regarding the investigation of the supervisor of the LAPD polygraph unit. AntiPolygraph.org did not make this information public at the time because it could not be corroborated.

The anonymous caller left the following voice mail message for AntiPolygraph.org on 15 September 2003:

Quote:
Yes. A hot tip. Roy Ortiz, LAPD, supervisor in charge, he's under investigation by Internal Affairs for changing polygraph reports.

The caller left a more detailed message on 25 September 2003:

Quote:
Yes. There is a big tip here. I called last week. Mr. Roy Ortiz from the LAPD polygraph unit is under investigation for changing polygraph test results. This is very big within the LAPD. You are missing a big opportunity. He is the head supervisor in charge, and he's being investigated. I took a test there last year with the LAPD, and he told me that my breathing was all screwed up, and they told me that I was possibly using countermeasures. Mr. Roy Ortiz is being very dishonest in his own unit giving tests.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box I-Smell-BS

Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2004 at 5:49pm
Quote:
In September 2003, AntiPolygraph.org received an anonymous tip from a caller regarding the investigation of the supervisor of the LAPD polygraph unit. AntiPolygraph.org did not make this information public at the time because it could not be corroborated.

The anonymous caller left the following voice mail message for AntiPolygraph.org on 15 September 2003:

OH MY, George is wearing his ADMINISTATOR hat with the 5 stars.  Look out LAPD, George is on the case!  Never mind that he is in the Netherlands, he is hot on the trail of corruption in LA. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2004 at 6:47pm
ISBS,

You write:

Quote:
...Look out LAPD, George is on the case!  Never mind that he is in the Netherlands, he is hot on the trail of corruption in LA....

The relevant issue is not what and why George can do from afar, but, if the allegations discussed are shown to be true, why those in your community, geographically and otherwise better able to investigate and root out such things, have to date failed to do so.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Hugh G. Rection

Reply #5 - Apr 16th, 2004 at 12:11am
Quote:

Wow, this jagoff (who failed is polygraph) sure seems credible to me.
It must be true!

Hugh.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Apr 16th, 2004 at 1:22am
Funny, the only thing you can point out to bring the caller's credibility into question is the fact that he/she failed a polygraph exam.

Do you really think that's going to sway anyone here?  Did you forget what message board you were posting on?

IP Logged

Administrator

Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2004 at 8:12am
AntiPolygraph.org has received another e-mail, titled "LAPD Polygraph Supervisor is a Liar," through an anonymous remailer:

Quote:
>
> This is despicable.  An LAPD polygrapher who lies.  This person has
affected lives of many employees and potentially lost (or gotten) jobs for
police officer candidates.  LAPD has not changed.
>
> One year ago this month, the first of several internal personnel
complaints were filed against LAPD Polygraph Unit Supervisor Roy Ortiz.
Allegations were that Ortiz changed the results of dozens of polygraph tests
of potential police officer candidates, and officers who were required to
submit to a polygraph to land a specialized position such as narcotics,
vice, or anti-terrorist.  In at least one instance, Ortiz was accused of
forging another examiner's name to a report of findings in which he changed
the results of the test.  Other allegations included insubordination for
participating in polygraph unit business, retaliation against employees who
are involved in the complaints, and numerous counts of inappropriate conduct
with other LAPD employees.
>
> Civilian commander of Scientific Investigation Division, Steve Johnson,
with the knowledge and approval of his chain of command, allowed Ortiz to
remain in the Polygraph Unit to conduct tests while he was under
investigation, a deviation from LAPD's routine of removing an employee from
an assignment while an investigation is active.  Ortiz was allowed to
conduct polygraph tests and participate in polygraph related decisions of
his employees.
>
> Johnson and civilian commander Nancy Gennusa met with Polygraph Unit
employees last Monday to announce that the complaints were completed and
adjudicated.  The adjudication, decided by Johnson, called for full
exoneration of Ortiz.  Johnson used the loophole that there was no official
Polygraph Unit Manual in place at the time Ortiz changed the reports,
therefore Ortiz could not be held accountable for his actions.  Also,
Johnson and Gennusa insist that Ortiz was never given an official direct
order to not involve himself with polygraph business.
>
> Oddly enough, solid proof that Ortiz had changed reports, and testimony by
other polygraph employees support that the allegations is available.  There
is no mention in the LAPD Manual for sworn officers specifically stating
that they shall not forge police reports either.  Also, if a supervisor
orally gives an officer an order, that order is taken as a direct order.
There is no other protocol.
>
> The civilian mid-level manager Terry Carter, who filed the initial
personnel complaint with Internal Affairs last April, was transferred in
September 2003 to another assignment, Supplies.  Johnson and Gennusa cited
that the transfer was due to "operational needs".  Carter, who was seven
months pregnant at the time of the transfer, has been on maternity leave
since November and is yet to return to work.  Upon the transfer, Carter
filed a complaint for retaliation.
>

The e-mail concluded with a list of people who could be contacted to corroborate the information provided. AntiPolygraph.org will contact these persons for verification. We will also share the contact information received with legitimate news agencies that may wish to investigate these allegations. (Send inquiries to info@antipolygraph.org or leave voicemail at  206-666-4271 206-984-4872.)
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2006 at 1:25pm by Administrator »  

IP Logged

Administrator

Reply #8 - Apr 16th, 2004 at 8:57am
The following e-mail was also received through an anonymous remailer:

I read your posting today.  I am sure that any civilian answering the phone in Media Relations won't know anything about the investigation.  I can answer your questions:

1.  Polygraph Examiner IV Roy Ortiz is the officer in charge of the Polygraph Unit.
2. Yes, Ortiz changed reports of findings in dozens of cases without the consent of the polygraphers who conducted the actual tests.  In at least one case, Ortiz forged the signature of a civilian examiner without his knowledge, after he and the examiner had a disagreement on the final opinion of the exam.
3.  Police Administrator Steve Johnson, the civilian commanding officer of Scientific Investigation Division, which the Polygraph Unit is under, adjudicated the complaint and fully exonerated Ortiz.
4.  I don't know how to answer this one.  Formal inquiries with the Personnel Department, Police Commission, or Inspector General?  A huge crappity smacking lawsuit would work.  LAPD management was banking on the fact that we were all going to be good soldiers and let the internal process reveal the truth.  But since some genius decided to let Steve Johnson adjudicate it, along with his cripple boss, Nancy Gennusa, who are both in bed with Ortiz, it's over.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #9 - Apr 16th, 2004 at 9:39am
For anyone who may be reading this message thread who would be in a position to know:

1) Why would the LAPD Polygraph Unit supervisor change the results of polygraph examinations?

2) Were these alleged changes made on the supervisor's own initiative, or did someone else ask or order him to change the results? If so, who?

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box makemesick
New User

Reply #10 - Apr 16th, 2004 at 10:12am
Interesting how the person who is naming all these people at LAPD is hiding as an anonymous informant. WHO EVER YOU ARE ... You are willing to name all the individuals  you say are involved in a cover up, but you are too chicken to admit to who you are and what position you hold.

George...I respect your opinion, you have a right to free speech and the right to stand for what you believe but when it comes to accusations as severe as these I hope that you would make the individual who is so willing to name all these people admit to his or her true identity.

After all does one not have the right to confront their accuser ???

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #11 - Apr 16th, 2004 at 11:23am
makemesick,

I would prefer that anyone making such serious allegations would do so using their real name. However, considering the reasonable fear of retaliation that whistleblowers face (a fear that would be buttressed by the alleged retaliation against Terry Carter), I think it is not hard to understand why a whistleblower might choose to remain anonmyous.

If anyone has information that rebuts the allegations made here, or that adds relevant context which may be missing, please feel free to post it.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Administrator

Reply #12 - Apr 16th, 2004 at 12:21pm
AntiPolygraph.org has received the following e-mail through an anonymous remailer, under the subject header, "Re: LAPD Polygraph Supervisor is a Liar - more info":

Quote:
This is a BIG coverup by LAPD. Media Relations isn't going to help you.  Anyone "official" who talks to you is going to tell you that there was a formal complaint investigation investigated by Internal Affairs, and that Roy Ortiz was found to be fully exonerated.  What they are not going to tell you is that the person who adjudicated the complaint was Police Administrator Steve Johnson, who is a puppet to his boss, Nancy Gennusa.  All these people are civilians, not cops.  What they aren't also going to tell you is that the higher ups have known about this Roy Ortiz problem for years.  Gennusa's bosses' entire office was told that Ortiz was a bomb waiting to explode, multiple times, by multiple people, even an ex Captain.   

Everyone in the LAPD Polygraph Unit has already seen the posting on your website.  You are not going to get answers, and their whole chain of command is already strategizing damage control in case this hits the news.  Johnson, Gennusa, Laura Johnson, and Chief Sharon Papa all knew about this.  There is documentation to prove that dozens of reports were changed.  The manager over Ortiz who filed the complaint against him also started an audit of all polygraph reports for just a six month period, but she was moved out of her job before she could complete it.

Polygraph Examiner IV Roy Ortiz is the head of the polygraph unit.
Ortiz did forge signatures of other polygraphers, changing opnions of reports without their knowledge.
Police Administrator Steve Johnson fully exonerated Ortiz.
Anyone who thinks they were rejected out of a job because of the polygraph should formally ask to get their file reopened through the LAPD Police Commission or Inspector General.

If anyone with access to documents regarding this case wishes to make them public, they may be faxed to AntiPolygraph.org at 206-666-4271 206-984-4872 206-600-5859 (which is also our voicemail number). Fax header information will be redacted from any such documents before they are made public.
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2007 at 10:37am by Administrator »  

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Apr 16th, 2004 at 2:46pm
George,

For the sake of conversation, if one assumes there to be some truth to the original allegations as well with the nature of the subsequent internal investigation of such allegations as reported by one or more whistleblowers, it would appear that the LAPD may not be capable of investigating itself.

Have you considered, in addition to sending this to various media outlets, further making official complaints with:

(1) The mayor's office

(2) The governor's office/state attorney general

(3) The FBI/U.S. Attorney General's office (the alleged offenses could well involve federal violations; i.e., civil rights violations of individual examinees)

(4) The ACLU and similar groups--this may well be a class actionable matter and one potentially involving government agencies as well as individuals if there in fact was an investigative cover-up and last but not least

(5) The American Polygraph Association and similar California Polygraph Associations.  These groups should formally be notified/put on notice (one or more of the individuals alleged to be involved may hold membership in one or more of these groups).  If the allegations prove to be true, it will be more than interesting to see how aggressively the matter is/has been/will be investigated by these associations.

IP Logged

Administrator

Reply #14 - Apr 16th, 2004 at 9:06pm
The following message was received through an anonymous remailer under the subject header "LAPD.":

Quote:
Everyone is afraid of retaliation around this crappity smacking place. Hey, Roy Ortiz is an asshole to everyone. It's no big crappity smacking surprise that someone finally leaked it.  It's a surprise that it took so crappity smacking long.  Everyone is pissed off about the decision limp dick Johnson made. Johnson is so concerned about his Police Administrater job that he'll kiss anyone's ass to keep it and climb the ladder.  That's integrity!  I heard through the grapevine that there was an anonymous complaint from an outside party that went to the Chiefs office.  On a training convention for APA in Washington DC Ortiz was out in front of the White House and started yelling at the top of his voice "Hillary you thingy! Come out here! Hillary your a crappity smacking bitch"  The Secret Service came out and detained everyone.  People from APA told me that they were furious.  Ortiz did not reveal that he was an LAPD examiner.  He presented his Sheriff's ID instead. This anonymous complaint went to Johnson to handle and he did nothing about it.  He just trashed it.  But that's what the balless wonder does.  Let's be real. Nothing is going to happen.  This coverup goes all the way to the top.  The entire chain of command knows about this and choses to ignore the Ortiz problem.  Had this been an officer, the officer would have been removed immediately and dealt with appropriately.  These civilians don't have a crappity smacking clue how to manage, or how it works in this Department.

The APA is the American Polygraph Association. According to the APA website, Mr. Ortiz is a member of the board of directors, chair of the International Membership Liaison Committee, and also the Seminar Program Chair.

IP Logged

LAPD Polygraph Cover-up?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X